This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Update Failure For .net Framework 2.0 Etc

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Today when updating with Microsoft updates, the following offered failed to install:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB928365)

Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366)
I am wondering why I need this update as I am running Service Pack 2 with XP.


This failure occurred several times.

After some constant and vigilant research I have come up with the following two fixes that may, just may reverse the fault.

1) I can uninstall and reinstall Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 and the existing update showing in Add and Remove:
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB922770) then try again to update the latest as noted above.

OR

2) Do the following as researched on Microsoft Newgroup site posted by PA Bear 10/07/2007
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg…ng=en&cr=US

namely

- remove the microsoft .net framework 2.0 (and the update) from the
Add/Remove Program in Control Panel.
- go to MSKB (Microsoft Knowledge Base) and type "remove .net 2.0" in the
search box. I pick this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077/ as my
guide
- READ carefully. I didn't do every single step the article suggested, but I
did the manual removal of URTTEMP folder, Mscoree.dll file in
Windows\system32 folder, and V2.0.50727 folder Windows\Microsoft.net folder.
- I removed those stuff in safe mode (restart your comp and press F8 before
the windows logo comes up)
- restart the computer and let it return in normal mode (the one we're on now)
- download the .net Framework 2.0 from MS website, the file name is
dotnetfx.exe and here's the link
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…DD-AAB15C5E04F5
- TURN OFF whatever security program you have (anti virus, anti spyware,
firewall, etc).
- proceed with reinstallation of .net framework 2.0 then double click the
annoying update shield that will tell you that you don't need to download
anything to install the KB928365
- let it work and restart the computer as instructed


The above seems so technical for me to do so I am asking for some guidance here if possible as to whether this is really necessary to obtain the offered updates for .NET Framework 2.0
Thanks Tallin. Canuck does make sense intuitively and experientially. Some users however, may be more dependant upon the .Net Framework features of Windows because of Memberships, login attributes, and Security Identification. Not sure, but the old and hopefully lesser used MS Passport system required some of these features. I got caught in a brief round of .net requirement when dealing with MS Partners, and Builders. In general, if MS is updating an item as a critical update or patch, it probably serves a large portion of folks who use Windows. Sometimes it's difficult to recognize whether or not such an update applies in your own situation. I'm glad Canuck was informed and able to provide the information for you specifically. However, the same information may not apply to other users. Best Regards

Thanks Tallin.

Canuck does make sense intuitively and experientially.

Some users however, may be more dependant upon the .Net Framework features of Windows because of Memberships, login attributes, and Security Identification.

Not sure, but the old and hopefully lesser used MS Passport system required some of these features.
I got caught in a brief round of .net requirement when dealing with MS Partners, and Builders.

In general, if MS is updating an item as a critical update or patch, it probably serves a large portion of folks who use Windows.

Sometimes it's difficult to recognize whether or not such an update applies in your own situation.
I'm glad Canuck was informed and able to provide the information for you specifically.

However, the same information may not apply to other users.
Best Regards


If you are running Windows XP/SP2 and are also running .NET.Framework 1.1. 2.0. 3.0 and have had problems installing two critical Windows Updates namely KB928365 and KB928366 which were released in the July patch Tuesday, here is the fix that was successful for me after one months research from various forums.

Firstly download and install https://psi.secunia.com/ and run a scan which will tell you heaps about your computer.
In my case it showed that two critical updates were missing and gave me the links to fix the problem.

In short I uninstalled (one at a time) firstly .NET Framework 1.1 and ran Windows Uninstall and Cleanup Utility which you can get from the following site:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secu…p-Utility.shtml. Then I reinstalled .NET Framework 1.1 went to Microsoft Updates and installed Microsoft .NET Framework Hotfix KB928366 successfully.

Please note that when uninstalling .NET Framework 1.1 by the above method then checking in Add and Remove it did not show as installed.

Secondly I then did the same thing with .NET Framework 2.0 following the links offered in https://psi.secunia.com/ uninstalling 2.0 running the cleanup utility and reinstalling.

Please also note that when I did the above for .NET Framework 2.0 and checked in Add and Remove it was still showing as installed, I clicked REMOVE and it proceeded to install over the existing installation successfully. I then went to Microsoft update and installed Hotfix KB928365 successfully.

In Add and Remove now all show as installed including hotfixes.

If you would like to read the actual thread where all this was achieved here is the link:
http://security-central.us/forums/showthread.php?t=9628
Please also note that some of the above ideas were mine so they do not show in the Security Central thread, but most were the expert work of little eagle

Hope this is clear to all.

kind regards, :thumbup:
trying to apply your fixes to my system, it seems i only have .net framework1.1 and .net framework 1.1 hotfix (KB886903) in add/remove programs.. and (KB928366) is the update that wont install.. any advice? thanks mark.
Tallin, I followed your steps, downloaded the Windows Uninstall & Clean Up program and the secunia program. I followed the steps to uninstall and re-install and it still gives me the debugger message and the shield is still there. Is the .NET Framework program absolutely neccessary? If not I see no reason to keep fighting this thing. Thanks! Mike
hmmm. still having issues. Now IE explorer keeps crashing on me. Says an error occurs and closes the window. Dont know if this anything to do with my .NET framework problem.
I really don't have the answer for you, but try the following and see how you go:

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.

Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack ie SP1 when SP2 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.

You may benefit from Ztruker's answer on this site also.

Post back if you need as someone else will come by to help you further.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI