Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Cant play DVDs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Royville

Royville

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

Hello all, I'm trying to play dvd's on my laptop computer but I keep getting the error "Prepare Display Device Error, please install vga driver". I have tried re-installing the vga device driver but it says Cannot Install This Hardware There was a problem installing this hardware: Video Controller An error occurred during the installation of the device. Access is denied Under Display Adapters in Device Manager there are two items, - 'Video Controller', and 'Video Controller (VGA Compatible)' and both have a yellow explanation mark on them. I have also tried different dvd players (as the one that came with the laptop originally has been removed) and non will work. Please can you help? - my laptop is (Fujitsu Siemens) AMILO, with 'Intel i855GM/GME Chipset'. Regards Roy.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

Hi, and welcome to the WTT forums
Sorry to hear of the problems with your FS Amilo...is this an V2000...?...please advise make and exact model number in your next response together with the application (programme) you are trying to use to play the DVD

Any Yellow marker in Device Manager indicates a problem with a driver that is damaged, missing or in the wrong place!
You will need to fix the problems before trying to play your DVD.
1 You could try using Windows update to find the correct driver and install it...... Right click on the Entry with the Yellow marker in Device Manager and select Update driver..you can also try to roll back the driver to see if the previous one works! Note you must be connected to the Internet when following this procedure, and a reboot will be required following the installation.
2 A better method than the approach outlined in 1 above is to visit the Website for your FS Amilo and insert your serial number for your machine (found on the sticker on the bottom of the computer) Here's a link to the website:
http://uk.ts.fujitsu.../downloads.html
From there you will be able to find the downloads available for your particular machine
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Royville

Royville

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

Hi Paws, Thank you for your swift response. It's not a V2000. It is:- AMILO M7400 RegNo: M52137 Model: FB21 It has 768mB Ram and the current player I have installed is Corel WinDVD. But I have tried others and none of them work. Of the options you suggested I tried 1. before contacting the forum. I have just tried option 2. and I got exactly the same result. I have included a screen shot (I think) of the result. Regards Roy.

Attached Thumbnails

• Scr1.JPG

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

Hi, Did you manage to find the chipset drivers for your Machine, or was the access denied just in response to installing the dedicated Video driver? Have you tried running sfc /scannow If not then Start>Run> type in the white box sfc /scannow click Ok Note the space between c and / it needs to be there. The scan should take about 20 mins, or so...... if it finds damaged or missing Windows System files, SFC will try to replace them from good copies on your machine....if it can't find good copies then it will ask you to insert your Microsoft Windows XP installation disc so it can copy new good files across directly to the dll cache, so have it handy. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Royville

Royville

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:43 AM

Hi Paws, I was able to reinstall the Chipset drivers ok. Its just the video driver I'm having problems with. I hadn't tried running sfc /scannow as I didn't know about it. I have run it now though but sadly it made no difference. Regards Roy.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

Presumably you are still getting the yellow markers against your video card in device manager?
I think it might be best to run chkdsk with the r switch just in case you have some disc errors that could be compounding the problem
Here's how:
1 Go to Start
2 Click on Run
3 Type in the white box
chkdsk /r
4 Click on OK
Note (the space between the k and the / is essential)
you will get a warning in a black box, this is Ok just
type in
Y
press the enter key
Note (this will allow the utility to run, when you restart your machine)
7 Close down your computer (a full shutdown, not a sleep/hibernate/standby) wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen and then restart your machine.
Note Chkdsk will analyse your hard drive, detect any bad sectors and fix them automatically without intervention by you. Chkdsk will take an hour or sometimes considerably longer to complete so allow plenty of time for this procedure especially as you may need to run it several times until it has completed all 5 passes on two consecutive runs without finding or fixing any problems.
Please prevent anyone from trying to use the computer whilst chkdsk is running and do not allow it to be interrupted.

When its dfinished it will restart your machine
Now run sfc /scannow
exactly as you did before.
Next download VLPlayer from here:
http://www.videolan....ad-windows.html
install it and see how you go.
When responding can you tell me if your machine will play an audio CD, together with any messages you get from VL Player
Regards
paws

#7 Royville

Royville

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:07 AM

Hi Paws, Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it. I ran the chkdsk /r trhee times to make sure there were no errors then ran sfc /scannow afterwards. I then downloaded and installed vlc player and it will play DVD's, but the screen is very dark. It did show some error messages, but they flashed up so fast I didn't get a chance to see what they were - sorry. It doesn't have a problem playing audio CD's. I still have the original windows xp home disks that came with the machine. Would it be benificial if I reinstalled the xp over the top to renew any damaged or missing files? Can this be done without loosing anything? If not what would be the best way to do a complete Reformat/Reinstall? The reason I ask is because I also tried to install a program called Mathcad, and it wouldn't install that either saying that dosx.exe was required somewhere or other (sorry for the vagueness). Also, I'm not sure if it's relavant but the 'Stand by' button is grayed out when I shut down windows. The last thing I tried before this reply was reinstalling the Graphics driver. but again it failed. Regards Royville..

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hi, Ok, Thanks for the feedback. This is not looking like a simple video driver issue but a deeper seated Windows Operating System problem. As long as your back up/copy/archive is 100% up to date accurate reproducible and kept safe on separate media then the Repair install of \Windows may help (The repair install is non destructive and installs Windows on top (as you already know) and it shouldn't damage or lose your data...... however I always warn folks to check their back ups ( as above) and also to gather together all their application installations discs and downloaded executables together with the serial numbers including the 25 alpha-numeric (5 groups of 5) serial key of your Windows installation as its always possible for things to go wrong or for someone to press the wrong key..... :unsure: This may help you to correct the video problem, and allow you to install the correct drivers.......its interesting that in your last post you said that the DVD's now play but are very dark........presumably you have checked that all other visual effects work OK? If the repair works satisfactorily be prepared to do a lot of windows updates as the repair installation will "take out" quite a lot of them. If at some stage you need to do a format and reinstall ( destructive) then the backup checking and of serial nubers, discs etc will be useful prep' work Post back and let us know how you get on Regards paws

#9 Royville

Royville

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:33 AM

Hi Paws, Sorry for the delay in replying. I have decided to do a complete reinstall. At the moment I am gathering all the info I can (there are 4 users on this little machine).As soon as I get back up and running again I will Post back and let you know how it went. Once again, many thanks for you help - wish me luck :smack: Regards Roy.

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:44 AM

:thumbup: Good luck..hope it goes well for you When its all running sweetly.... dont forget to take a disc image, verify it and keep it safe on removable media together with a bootable CD ROM (made with your disc imaging software) .then if trouble ever strikes again. you will be able to reimage back to your "perfect set up" in less time than it takes to walk the dog! Regards paws

#11 Royville

Royville

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:58 AM

Hi Paws, Well I'm up and running again. Everything seems to work now as it should and I think it's completed all it's updates. My only observation is that when I first reinstalled the system the disk usage was around 1 gig, but after the updates it seems to have rocketed, its now at 9 gig usage. I realise that some of that will be my user files but I don't have much on it at the moment so there must have been some large updates i think. Are there any programs I could run that would clear out any garbage left behind by the updates? At least then I would know I had a clean system to start with. Regards Roy.

#12 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:53 AM

That's good to hear...Well done
:thumbup:
You can do a disc up in a lot of different way.s..but I would suggest (strongly) that you only use automated tools...... if you start deleting stuff manually especially in your system files it could turn round and bite you!
Atf-Cleaner by Atribune is well recommended
http://www.atribune....c...5&Itemid=25
Regards
paws