Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91733 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Problems with windows live messenger and IE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 toonology

toonology

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:10 AM

Hi, After start up i can open windows live messenger but within a few minutes it just disappears and cannot be reopened, icon is on taskbar but as soon as you put the cursor on it, it disappears. To reopen windows live messenger i have to reboot the computer but again it will only remain open for a few minutes. I have reinstalled WLM but to no avail. Also internet explorer constantly stops working and the window appears saying "a problem has been encountered and need to close" sometimes it will reopen, sometimes it will not and again have to reboot. Many thanks in advance, Toon Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.25 Database version: 1078 Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 10:46:01 PM 8/23/2008 mbam-log-08-23-2008 (22-46-01).txt Scan type: Quick Scan Objects scanned: 52450 Time elapsed: 19 minute(s), 20 second(s) Memory Processes Infected: 0 Memory Modules Infected: 0 Registry Keys Infected: 0 Registry Values Infected: 0 Registry Data Items Infected: 0 Folders Infected: 0 Files Infected: 0 Memory Processes Infected: (No malicious items detected) Memory Modules Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Keys Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Values Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Data Items Infected: (No malicious items detected) Folders Infected: (No malicious items detected) Files Infected: (No malicious items detected) ----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------- Attached File  toonology_HJT_Log.txt   8.17KB   141 downloads

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:23 PM

Hi Toonology, I've edited your post to replace your HJT Log as an attached file. We do not analyze HJT here in this Forum. It is just fine as an attached file and may prove useful for information. ______________ A little more information is needed please. "When" did this problem start occurring and what might you have done just previous to the problem beginning? I am particularly interested in any relationship between the problem and possible recent installation or update of: BitDefender9 McAfee SiteAdvisor Service Webroot Windows Washer Also please let us know what Firewall you are using. Thanks and Welcome to WTT Forums Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 toonology

toonology

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:24 AM

Hi Doug, Thank you for your reply and sorry about HJT. Talking about my problems. It happened around 2 weeks ago after i have service pack 3 updated to my computer, since then WLM and IE don't seem to work right. So, i tried to uninstalled WLM and reinstalled it back on but after i restarted my computer i kept getting this window saying " Windows installer, preparing to install" popping up, i left it install for awhile but nothing happened, i couldn't open any web pages and could not get rid of that windows installer message. until i restored my computer back to a previous point when i still used service pack 2, the message then disappeared but WLM and IE still do not run correctly. BitDefender9 automatic update is on and firewall is enabled McAfee SiteAdvisor Service hasn't been updated as i use a free version Webroot window washer last update check: 7 /17 /2008, last wash 8/13/2008 Regards, Toon

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

Hi again Toonology,

There could be several things involved in your present situation.
Possible solutions should be tried one at a time.
I'll suggest steps to take and follow-up with additional steps as necessary.
_______________-

First Step to try will address your difficulty with Internet Explorer

Reset Internet Explorer to the default settings

Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.
Open Internet Explorer.
Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK.
Close Internet Explorer.
The changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.

Note: These instructions are directly from your IE Help - Index
To read a bit more, before performing the above instructions,

Select Help from the Command Icon line at the top of any open instance of Internet Explorer
Select - Content and Index
Type into the "find" dialog bar:: Reset Internet Explorer to the default settings
__________________________--

Please consider performing the above.
Then post back with your progress/results.
We can take additional steps if necessary.

Later, we can address the issue with WLM

Best Regards

#5 toonology

toonology

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:04 AM

Dear Doug, Looks like my problem is solved. I very much appreciate your help in this matter. Kiss & hug Toon

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

Hi Toon, That's good to read. It might help other members and readers to know what solution was successful for you. Please let us know when you can. Doug

#7 toonology

toonology

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:23 AM

Hi Doug, What i did was reset internet explorer back to default as you recommended. It's been 2 days so far and things(WLM & IE) appear to be OK. Thanks again for your kind help. Best regards, Toon x

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:14 AM

Thanks, Toon. Knowing what helped you may help others. Doug