This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Explorer.exe keeps closing & occassionally reopening

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Alright, so I'm logging into MSN, and all of a sudden, my taskbar and desktop disappear - so I automatically know something's wrong with explorer. I would upload a hijack this report, but I cannot download anything or execute Mozilla Firefox. I am currently only able to execute applications via task manager (I'm using IE 6), and I am losing my mind with impatience. I am very knowledgable with computers, yet, I cannot seem to locate the source of this problem. I downloaded a tool called Discovery Live or something, a Windows Live Plug-in, earlier today, and as I login, it opens an advertisement via IE. I believe there may have been some malware binded to this tool, and that could be the cause of all of this. I was looking through event viewer, and noticed a few errors/warnings around the time of this situation. I cannot provide you with anymore information at the present time, but a better understanding of the situation would be very much appreciated.
Hi nyck and welcome.

but a better understanding of the situation would be very much appreciated.

And so knowing what the errors were in Event Viewer would be nice. As well as a little about your computer - PC or Laptop, version of Windows?

Did you try a system restore? Have you scanned for malware? You say you are using IE 6 - what other security updates are you behind on?
I'm not big on Windows, I don't really care for updates. This computer is just kind of a scrap I've been programming on and such. I found a download manager on my computer and I can now download files. I have a log for my hijackthis scan. Also, I am running Windows XP Professional on a desktop.
Errors in Event Viewer:

Applications - Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20080.62306, faulting module yayvwnkc.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0005499d.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

When I try to execute Firefox:

Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20071.816, faulting module yayvwnkc.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0005499d.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Whenever I try to click within event viewer, it says log file cannot be read.

There is clearly a problem with the dll file.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI