This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Media XP SP2

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently installed Windows XP Media with SP2 onto my computer. It is the original operating system that came with the computer but I have never used it. The minute I got the computer I put on XP Pro Corp with SP1 because I had heard SP2 was nothing but problems. I ran the computer for about 2 years with absolutely no problem. The other day out of the blue I decided I should download SP2 and had a bunch of problems - needless to say my entire computer was screwed up. Well then I thought no big deal, will reinstall Windows XP Pro Corp and continue on - it probably being time for a format anyway. Turns out I couldn't install it - for a variety of reasons so I got out all my dell stuff out that came with the computer and installed that operating system - not a pleasant experience. Took 3 different installs before I came up with one that is halfway stable (keeping my fingers crossed). Well a few weird things have been going on: 1) I have used Sygate for years but now it keeps disappearing on me (I don't think its a conflict with SP2 because I have SP2 on my laptop and I run Sygate with no problem). 2) Also my home page with is generic yahoo loads really weird - sometimes it will be a normal full page; others it is just 1/3 of the page. This happens if I am using IE or Mozilla. 3) I can install iTunes but can't play hardly any of my music because it is extremely distorted. Now, I will say that during installs 1-3 one problem that was always present was that I had no audio at all - obviously it might be a problem with the drivers (sound card was fine before I started doing all this). Also songs are distorted in winamp as well. 4) I primarily use mozilla and on one site, I have my password saved……..never had a problem with that before. Now if I close my browser down and reopen it, I'm not still signed in. The information is there but I manually have to click on sign in when I've never had to do that before. I have my personal stuff cleared when the browser shuts down, but I have always had that - is this indicative of SP2? I wasn't sure if i should post this to windows problems or to browser - LD Tate was helping me with malware/spyware problems and suggested this one because of the yahoo page specifically

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI