This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't take this anymore...please help me!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I don't know where to begin… Is there any hope for my computer???? Windows XP Home sp1 No firewall Counterspy Anti-virus recently uninstalled (mcafee virus scan thru aol) no longer connected to internet My desktop (dell inspiron 4550) is 2 1/2 years old…working ok until fall 04 when I upgraded to dsl–sbc yahoo. Started having problems with pop-ups, etc. Became aware that windows sp2 update was never installed (my fault). I called a "geek" company–they did numerous things ($179!!) but were unable to install Windows sp2 update. I installed counterspy–seemed to keep things at bay until about a month ago. Blue screen errors began to occur after five minutes of computer use, making the computer virtually useless. Suspecting that the problem may be inadequate antivirus (we had McAfee Virusscan through AOL) my daughter downloaded symantec antivirus 10.0 through her university. Back to blue screen errors. Called Dell tech support (so frustrating). With them I completey disconnected from the internet and uninstalled all antivirus (mcafee and symantec). They mailed me a sp2 install disk. I just tried downloading this and I get the following message: "service pack 2 setup error" "installation did not complete" Since we have disconnected from the internet, all programs (such as Word, Excel, etc) seem to be working fine. However, we need the internet!! I am willing to try to work through this… I am hoping not to have to reload the operating system… But where do I start???? I have only recently become responsible for technical issues in my household. I realize I need to be more diligent in monitering the upkeep of a computer… I've purchased PC-cillen internet security 2005 and zone alarm personal firewall. They are still in their boxes. Don't know what to do first!!! Thank you in advance for your help!! AtkaJane
Well.. in all honesty your first purchase probably should have been Acronis. Follow the instructions above, after an expert looks over your log and directs you on what to do next you shouldnt have any more problems. Then box up McAfee and Symantec and throw them in the garbage. Look into Nod32 and Kaspersky.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI