Hi
I just worked with SwetTech on a virus problem. After a week, we agreed a fresh install of my XP pro was the way to go. I have the original XP pro disk. It has no service packs. I remember having major problems when I did a repair instal last year. I couldn't get Service pack 2 without Internet explorer and I couldn't get Internet explorer without service pack 2. I ended up working with a MS tech for half a day. He solved the problem, but I don't have free service left on this account, so I want to make sure I do this right.
What is your advice on doing this install without problems?
I have read the sticky thread and have everything ready. (disks, backups, setup exe files etc.) I am concerned about the service pack install. I have not reformatted yet. Will wait for advice here.
I recommend you create a new XP install CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 (SP3) as follows:
The simplest way to create a Bootable Windows XP Pro or Home Installation CD Slipstreamed with SP3 is to use Autostreamer. You point to your XP Pro/Home CD, the SP3 Service Pack .exe file, give it a path to write the .iso file to and off it goes. In 5 or 10 minutes you have a .iso file that you can burn to CD with almost any CD burner program you want to use. I used Roxio 7. There is also a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this for you.
Hi Thanks for responding.
I made an autostreamer sp2sp3 cd. (in 2 passes) I started with sp2 because autostreamer will not accept the sp1a file as valid - not from your link and not directly from the MS site. Everywhere I read tells me I don't need SP1 or SP1a if I am starting from a plain XP disc; that I can go directly to SP2. Feedback on this ?
quote from MS site:
To install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), either Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) must already be installed.
Hi .
I did a clean install with sp2/sp3 streamed. Thanks for suggesting that. XP to SP2 to SP3 worked just fine with Autostreaner..
Everything is peachy. I'll post if I have new questions.
Hi there.
When I reformatted C; I forgot to reformat my second drive. I immediately noticed it was hooked up to the new install. I ran Avast and found a trojan in it. Ouchie! bad, bad. I tried to reformat it but can't do it while it is connected to my install.. So I physically disconnected it to protect my computer.
How can I reformat it so I can use it as a secondary HD?
Everything else good and good on the install.
Why can't you format it? If it's your 2nd drive then it's not your C: drive, right? Therefore you should be able to format it. What happens when you try to format it? Do you get an error message. If so, try booting to Safe Mode and formatting it from there.