This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Scanning phone and phone security

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello! This seemed the most suitable place for this topic. I have recently tried to scan my phone with my virus scanner, however it never gives me the option to do so! I use Kaspersky Internet Security. I was hoping someone might be able to help me: Is there a way to scan phones? Is there much to worry about with phones? I transfer data between my phone and computer from time to time which is why I am concerned. Thanks to anyone who can help!
How is your phone being recognized by the computer? Is it being recognized as a removable drive? Is there internal memory as well as some kind of SD card? Have you read the "How to" on your antivirus software? Are you asking for something it can not do? Did you consult KIS on this? Just a brief look at the company infomation says there is a Mobile solution for phones for sale. Have you tried right clicking the device/drive in "MY COMPUTER" and see if there is a "scan with" entry? Is a file safe just because its on a memory key, or how about a DVD/CD? Because a file is on a external drive it must be safe…..Not. Regards Kaz
Hi Kazzoo. Well I think this may be the problem - my computer does not recognise it as an indipendant drive, nor is there any scan with option when right clicking the phone in my computer. I've not found anything in the help about it so I'm wondering really if there's a way of getting my computer to recognise the phone as an indipendant drive? That would probably make it scannable. I dont understand the comment about whether a file safe or not because it's on a memory key etc….
Greetings Troubleddude

Is there much to worry about with phones? I transfer data between my phone and computer from time to time which is why I am concerned.


A file is: A collection of information stored in any of numerous forms on any of numerous devices. A file may contain programs, data, or text

I was using file and data interchangeably. Sorry for the confusion.

If I took data off my phone and put it on your computer, could you say it was 100 percent safe data?
if I put the same data on a cd/dvd disk first and gave it to you and you put on your computer, did it make the data any safer?
If I put the data from my phone and put it on a memory key and then gave you the memory key is the data safe now?

That would be NO in all cases. It is the same data no matter where its was stored, transfered, or moved to. Safe Data is safe, malware/virus infected data is malware/virus infected. You dont know until you scan.


I transfer data between my phone and computer from time to time


Look to where the data is being transfered to, does it end up in some file or folder on the computer somewhere? Go find and then see if you can scan it with the KIS.

I've not found anything in the help about it so I'm wondering really if there's a way of getting my computer to recognise the phone as an indipendant drive


Check your phone owners manual, browse the makers website, call the makers support line. You phone may or may not be able to be viewed this way.

Regards

Kaz

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI