This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Protecting my Cellphone

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey, I have a HTC-Touch with windows mobile 6 professional, and was wondering how I can protect it against malware. according to microsoft, there are more chances of getting your phone stolen than infected, but I want to be on the safe side. I'd also like to know if I can catch the same viruses as Windows XP from ex: a internet download.
It does not appear to be as popular to create an antivirus program for Windows Mobile devices. See this link for a few different options: http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+…rticleid+98.htm

I provide support for some Windows Smart phones throughout some different companies and none of them use an antivirus. I am not sure if it is because the malware threat is not as great on this platform or if they have a different reason behind this.

Remember that the same safe surfing habits apply to your Windows Smart phone as they would apply to your computer ;)
TBH there is not too much to be worried about at this stage, but if you want that peace of mind then F-Secure Mobile Security is a very good solution for a mobile, but it's not free.
The other step you can take to minimise risk is to set your phones bluetooth to invisible, the viruses that affect mobiles are always transfered via bluetooth AFAIK, the greatest clue to if a person is infected is a drastically reduced battery life, because by the nature of how they work, they basically constantly search for other bluetooth devices around and auto sends itself to anything that will let it in, as a result your battery dies pretty quickly, although I can foresee assassinations via bluetooth they are a way off yet, but given cars are coming with bluetooth these days it's only a matter of time before they could say send a virus to a car that causes the brakes to fail, but not going to happen anytime soon.
Apart from that the only other weak point is when you connect your phone to your PC, so good security and keeping updated etc is the main thing you can do, and as said above there safe surfing is a major help, but there is only 1 thing better than safe surfing, and thats to turn it off lol

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI