This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

I've narrowed my selections down!

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

After looking at the costs of building my computer (which will be an overkill anyway), I've decided to buy a pre-built one. Also, I don't need too nice of a video card, as I'm just playing movies/videos and playing cheap games once in like 2 weeks) I'm upgrading from a 250gb, Single-core Pentium 4, 512mb RAM.

Uses:

Mostly using Microsoft Office
Browsing forums + going on websites
Research, homework
Gaming (Rarely when I have free time, around once in 2 weeks :D)
Lots of security programs (I have 1 active anti-virus, 1 active Firewall and 1 active anti-spyware)
Music (All of the time when I'm on the computer)
Storing Data (My 250GB HDD is a few gigs away from being full)
Running Applications (Photoshop, iTunes, MSN, etc)

Now this thread will only be for me to post the desktop (not accesories: screen, keyboard etc) I'm trying to keep the build not including accessories nothing over $700 CDN.

Here are the list of computers I have narrowed it down to:

———————————————————–
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a…amp;catid=20217
= $549.99


Base Features:

Processor Type AMD Phenom Quad Core 9500
Processor Speed 2.2GHz
RAM 3GB DDR2
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 320GB SATA 7200 RPM
Optical Drives SuperMulti Drive (DVD+/-RW) DVD-RAM
Graphics ATI Radeon X1250
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
————————————————————–
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a…amp;catid=20217
=$549.99

Base Features
Processor Type Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Processor Speed 2.4GHz
RAM 3072MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 500GB 7200RPM
Optical Drives DVD Burner w/ LightScribe
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
—————————————————————
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a…amp;catid=20217
=$629.99

Base Features
Processor Type Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q6600
Processor Speed 2.40GHz
RAM 3072MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 720GB (2x360GB) 7200RPM SATA
Optical Drives 16X SuperMulti DVD Burner w/ LightScribe
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT Graphics
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
———————————————————-
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a…amp;catid=20217
$699.99

Base Features
Processor Type Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Processor Speed 2.4GHz
RAM 4GB DDR2
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 640GB SATA 7200RPM
Optical Drives DVD+/-RW Supermulti
Graphics Nvidia GeForce 7100
Pre-loaded Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
———————————————————-
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a…amp;catid=20217
$699.99

Base Features
Processor Type Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
Processor Speed 2.4GHz
RAM 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM (Exp. Up To 8GB)
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 750GB 7200RPM SATA
Optical Drives SuperMulti DVD Burner With LightScribe
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit SP1

Since I'm not getting this build immediately, I'm getting them in the month of September since it is my birthday hopefully prices will slope down a bit or I will wait until Boxing Day here in Canada and get these computers.


…

What should I get?
Hello there, all seems pretty good though. - I had to keep looking and looking over and over again to determine which of these and I came to a conclusion that the last one seems good enough. Cheers
Hi KJS :)

For what you are wishing to purchase, have a think about Dell Canada. Out of interest I went through the customize process for a Desktop Tower unit similar to what you wish to purchase etc:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E4600 (2MB L2, 2.4GHz, 800FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Service Pack 1
MEMORY 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 2DIMMs
HARD DRIVE 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
SOUND CARD Integrated Sound Blaster®Audigy™ HD Software Edition
GRAPHICS CARD Radeon HD 2400 Pro Graphics Media Card
OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: 48X CDRW/DVD COMBO Drive + 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

Price: $669.00 CDN

Nothing fantastic but meets the requirements you wish. I do advise have a look thru the aforementioned Dell site and customize etc and do some research as to whatever rig you customize for build has the potential to be upgraded in the future. Many do slate Dell computers, I actually like them and you pay for what you get.

Only drawback is the bundled Security software shipped, which needs to be removed asap in my opinion and something Dell really needs to address but that is another subject matter.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI