This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Serious Problem with Windows not starting

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, all. I more or less just resolved a slew of malware problems. However, now I think I've climbed one mountain just to see the full range in front of me. I have no idea what happened. Everything was working fine. No problems, no virus alerts, and the machine was running fairly quickly. Then, I shut down the computer one day. 1. A few hours later, when I turned on the computer, it wouldn't get past the Windows opening screen. It just froze. Another time I tried to turn on the computer, and it froze at the "Toshiba" screen (before Windows initializes). Nothing seemed to work. I couldn't even open it in Safe Mode. What seems to have resolved the issue is inserting a Microsoft Office disc into the drive, and then starting the computer. I have no idea why that works, but it does. It pauses for a moment, gives me the Windows light blue screen (not the "blue screen of death"), tells me "please wait……" and then it starts normally. This is totally beyond my understanding. I can't afford to have this computer die on me right now. Please help! Oh, and I just realized that now my CD/DVD drive isn't registering anything…no icon, no nothing. Neither is my USB port. Peace, MJ
H, Sorry to hear of the troubles with your machine.

1 There was no response from you to Ken's last suggestions in your recent malware thread here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Kavo_exe_hea…466#entry473466

This will start ComboFix again. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), post the contents of Combofix.txt in your next reply together with a new HijackThis log.


2 If you need further help with checking for malicious or undesirable elements, then you will need to open another thread and post an HJT log in the malware removal forum.

3 As some of the symptom you describe are consistent with a hard drive that is about to fail (it is not certain that it is about to die, but a strong possibility) it would be wise for you to consider taking the opportunity to bring your back up/archive/copy of all your important stuff 100% up to date, check that it's accurate, reproducible and held securely on removable media (not your hard drive)……the idea here is to ensure that all your important data, files, spreadsheets, work, music, emails, log in details, user names, address book, drivers, letters, invoices, videos etc….in fact everything that is important to you (stuff that you would not like to permanently lose) is safe on external media. Whilst you are doing this collect together all your application installation discs (or downloaded installation executables) serial numbers, product licence keys (including the one for Windows itself and the Microsoft Windows XP installation disc and or Manufacturer's Restore and Driver /utilities disc.

4 Your logs indicate that your machine, has had P2P File sharing programs installed……..There are legitimate uses for P2P File sharing, but a lot that I come across are used for the downloading of files, (especially music, videos, games etc) that breach both National and International rules on copyright. There is currently a major crackdown on folks who use File Sharing to break copyright rules and heavy penalties are being imposed……often it's the young folks who are tempted to do this, their parents and elders often being unaware, but it might be as well to check that your machine is squeaky clean in this respect, just to be on the safe side.

5 File sharing is a well known vector for the distribution of malicious code and large numbers of machines are infected by this route, the effects can be devastating and sometimes a format and reinstall of the operating system is necessary……For these reasons I recommend that you uninstall all P2P file sharing or similar applications, ( Limewire, ) etc.

6 Malware removal specialists on most forums are now making it a requirement that such programs are uninstalled before further assistance is required.

Regards and good luck
paws
Hey. Thanks for your response. I'm in the process of backing things up, as I like to do anyway. It seems, though, that this was all just a new malware type issue. I ran another couple of sweeps, once the shock of the failed start-ups passed, and came across a few wicked bits of malware. I cleared that up, and now everything is running back to normal….Almost. My CD/DVD drive no longer registers when I insert a disc (or even without a disc present). This is in conjunction with the USB showing up. This is now beyond the issue of not having Autoplay for CDs and/or USB. It's not a security issue, but rather something is wrong. Any suggestions? Peace, MJ PS: The kavo/tavo thing was successfully cleared up. I guess I missed that line requesting another log. My bad.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI