jimmispoons
Topic Starter
Okay folks heres a curious problem which I'm not sure what to do.
I originally posted here:
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?show…82&#entry249182
thinking it might be a malware issue, but it turns out it's not. So I'm not sure what to do now.
I'm currently work my way through the last list of items posted in the above link, but have a way to go yet, so thought I'd post here, as recommended.
Just to recap my symptoms are as follows:
I have a Toshiba Sattellite laptop running Windows XP
Just recently the logon time has become interminably long, about 1 time in three it starts up normally (after a considerable wait…) The rest of the time it hangs after I logon, the normal applications fail to start, and I am forced to give up and shut down.
The computer starts perfectly in Safe Mode.
When it does start normally it runs fine after all the startup applications have loaded.
Note that the problem only seems to occur after logon, there is no noticable delay in the general boot time.
Curiously whilst hanging the task manager will start and allow me to shut-down normally…
I have been through the Windows XP startup and shutdown troubleshooter meticulously and to no avail…
According to our work in the malware forum this is not a problem.
As a last resort I have disabled many of the programs I thought might affect startup, or uninstaled them completely.
In addition, I should mention that I don't appear to have a system restore point that predates the problem, in fact my system restore seems to be loosing restore points randomly (could this be another symptom?).
I am currently trying to look into the issue of drivers, but it is slow going as I am learning about this as I go.
I haven't posted a new hijack this log in this thread yet (although my latest one is in my previous thread!) mainly because I wasn't sure if anyone would need it… If you do let me know and I'll post one immediately.
Thanks in advance for your consideration in this,
Yours,
James.

I originally posted here:
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?show…82&#entry249182
thinking it might be a malware issue, but it turns out it's not. So I'm not sure what to do now.
I'm currently work my way through the last list of items posted in the above link, but have a way to go yet, so thought I'd post here, as recommended.
Just to recap my symptoms are as follows:
I have a Toshiba Sattellite laptop running Windows XP
Just recently the logon time has become interminably long, about 1 time in three it starts up normally (after a considerable wait…) The rest of the time it hangs after I logon, the normal applications fail to start, and I am forced to give up and shut down.
The computer starts perfectly in Safe Mode.
When it does start normally it runs fine after all the startup applications have loaded.
Note that the problem only seems to occur after logon, there is no noticable delay in the general boot time.
Curiously whilst hanging the task manager will start and allow me to shut-down normally…
I have been through the Windows XP startup and shutdown troubleshooter meticulously and to no avail…
According to our work in the malware forum this is not a problem.
As a last resort I have disabled many of the programs I thought might affect startup, or uninstaled them completely.
In addition, I should mention that I don't appear to have a system restore point that predates the problem, in fact my system restore seems to be loosing restore points randomly (could this be another symptom?).
I am currently trying to look into the issue of drivers, but it is slow going as I am learning about this as I go.
I haven't posted a new hijack this log in this thread yet (although my latest one is in my previous thread!) mainly because I wasn't sure if anyone would need it… If you do let me know and I'll post one immediately.
Thanks in advance for your consideration in this,
Yours,
James.