This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Stuck on "Windows is Starting Up"...in XP

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My Toshiba Satellite laptop is stuck on "Windows is Starting Up". I ran Malware bytes in Safe Mode, and removed 8 viruses. Rebooted in regular mode, and all went well. Then this morning, the laptop is back to stuck in the start up. Help!
Hello solo58 and :welcome:
I'm RedCar92 and my name is Bill, I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

  • Please observe these rules while we work:
  • Read the entire procedure
  • It is important to perform ALL actions in sequence.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Stick with me till you're given the all clear. Malware removal can be stressful but we will clean it.
  • Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone.
  • Don't attempt to clean your computer with any tools other than the ones I ask you to use during the cleanup process.

Please be advised, as I am still in training, all my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advise, this will be a team effort.
This may cause a delay, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.

Please bear with me, I will post back to you as soon as I can.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.
DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision.

Doing so could make your pc inoperative and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.

Vista and Windows 7 users:

These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them
with Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")

Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.
Greetings Solo58
To start the computer with "Last Known Good Configuration”, follow these steps:
To get the PC to boot, Power on and continuously tap the F8 Key which should bring up the Windows Advanced Options Menu.
Use the arrow keys to move to Last known good configuration and press your Enter key.

You are aware that you have posted in the Malware Removal forum. I will assist you in removing any malware on your PC. If you no longer want our help or if your problem is not malware related I will tell you where to go from here for the best assistance.

After getting pc booted with last known good configuration.
  • Please download aswMBR (

    511KB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

Next
Please download DDS from
LINK 1
or
LINK 2
and save it to your desktop.

Vista and Windows 7 users:
  • These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them
  • With Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")


XP users
Double click dds.scr to run the tool.
When done, two DDS.txt's will open.
Save both reports to your desktop.
Please include the contents of the following in your reply using Copy / Paste:
DDS.txt & Attach.txt

Logs to post:
  • aswMBR.txt
  • DDS.txt
  • Attach.txt

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI