This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Help building a rack mount PC

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So I'm investigating the possibility of building a computer to mount on a 19" rack. This computer would be used for DJing and home theater uses. I've never built a computer from parts, so I'd like some input as to what I need and how to put everything together.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16856999305

Does anybody know if I could use this case to run Windows XP? It's built to be a server, but I just need to run a few audio/video programs and store a couple hundred GBs of stuff…

I'll make a list of what exactly I'd need to do on there.

Thanks for the advice =)
Hi there :wavey:

I don't have physical experience with a rack mount case, but they are pretty much just a case - you can put whatever parts and install whatever operating system you want. B)

So the first thing you'll want to check is the compatibility - which you should be able to find all the specs from the case, and then match parts to these specifications. First up, the motherboard - as everything connects to this. The case specifications on Newegg say it's compatible with EATX motherboards, but judging from the pictures, you'll be able to put the standoffs in a variety of locations, which should accomodate both ATX and mATX as well.

Next up, I really don't like the quality of the PSU that case comes with. Have a careful look at the sticker on the PSU (click here), it's rated at 350W - but underneath limits you to 325W on those rails. This definitely would be a "maximum" output, with the sustained output probably limited at 250W or so… Not much at all considering today's needs in a PC system! To be honest, though, I'm not sure what form factor size the PSU is, so I can't recommend a better one. Perhaps some of the others on this board will be better acquainted with rack mount cases and PSUs.

After that, you'll need all the usual components to make up the system - motherboard, video card, RAM, CPU, Hard Drive(s), optical drive (DVD Burner, perhaps?). What's your allocated budget for the complete system? Would you consider changing the case at all - even perhaps a larger size rack-mount? Something like this looks like a much better base, as you'll be able to fit a complete ATX-size system in there, which would make it easiest to find parts, and for you to make yourself - especially as a first-time builder.

Oh, and is this going to need some kind of fancy sound-card because of your DJ'ing?

Cheers

Troy

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI