This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Yet Another Wireless Router Securing Problem

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been trying to secure my wireless router for quite a while now. I have a Netgear router and I've tried all the default login and password. I have even reset my router bout the password and login dont work. Now I was reading some other post and I think it might be that my IP address for my computer and router might be different. Can anyone offer any help? Thanks in advance.
Hi and welcome to the WTT forums :welcome: Sorry to hear of the problems you are having with setting the encryption on your router. Please advise: 1 the steps you are taking to enter the set up page (Router log in) please list exactly what you are doing 2 the physical connections that exist on your router (a brief description of which wire goes where, will suffice 3 The make and model no of your router 4 The make and any details of the network cards or adaptors that you are using for both wired and wireless connection and we will advise the next steps. Regards paws

Hi and welcome to the WTT forums
:welcome:

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having with setting the encryption on your router.

Please advise:

1 the steps you are taking to enter the set up page (Router log in) please list exactly what you are doing
2 the physical connections that exist on your router (a brief description of which wire goes where, will suffice
3 The make and model no of your router
4 The make and any details of the network cards or adaptors that you are using for both wired and wireless connection
and we will advise the next steps.
Regards
paws


Hi ans sorry for the late reply.

1. To enter the setup page, I go to Firefox and type in the following: 192.168.1.1 A pop-up then comes up asking me for username and password. I have tried entering all possible combinations into my router. Th default 'admin' and 'password', the '1234' combination and even 'netgear'. But I can't get through

2. The router is connected to my modem using an ethernet cable. When trying to secure it, I also connect my computer to the router using the ethernet port.

3. The router I'm using is Netgear "WGR614v6".

I think my problem might be similar to what 'John Hook' is talking about in his first post in this topic.

Link

Thanks in advance.
Reset for most routers with a reset button on the rear panel

Write down configuration information such as IP addresses, security keys, opened ports and services, etc., that you modified. (The default username is admin and the password is either password or 1234. Try these before resetting the router.)

1. Press the reset button on the back until the test light blinks. This takes about 10 seconds. (To avoid accidental resets, the small button is recessed. Use a pen or paperclip to access it.)
2. Release the button.
3. Wait for the router to reboot.
4. Log in with the default password.

If the router was not cleared, try these additional steps AFTER the router has finished rebooting.
5. Unplug the router's power.
6. Press and hold the reset button. While the button is held down, reconnect router's power.
7. Continue to hold the reset button for 20 seconds after reconnecting the power.
8. Wait for the router to reboot.
9. Log in with the default password.

NETGEAR ===> http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N100651.asp <=== NETGEAR

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI