This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

How to reset Netgear Router?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

As common as it sounds, I have tried pushing the little reset button on the back of the router with a pen. However, the default login credentials for "http://routerlogin.net" still does not work (the default credentials are listed on the back of the router). The username "Admin" and password "password" or "1234", does not appear to get me into the router settings. So I cannot use the router at all whatsoever. I use the Netgear wgr614v7; the installation disc is missing. Thanks.
Hi, sorry to hear of the problems with your Netgear router:
Here's some suggestions that may help:
With your Netgear router powered on press a straightened paper clip into the reset recessed button on the back of the router, and hold it there for 20 to 25 seconds by the clock…observe the LEDs on the fron t of the router to check that it reboots. Most folks dont keep the button pressed in for the correct time…..
Here's the link to the set up manual:
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wgr614v…ual_21apr06.pdf
1 Make sure that your Modem is connected to the Netgear router
2 Make sure that your Netgear router is connected to your computer by a Cat 5 network cable ( patch cable)
3 In Win XP click on Start, click on Run and in the white box type
http://192.168.1.1
Click on OK
you should get to the Netgear router log on page
type in (if not already prefilled) the user name, the default is:
admin
Note this is case sensitive it must be lower case and with caps lock off
in the white box for the password type in:
password
Note this is case sensitive it must be lower case and with caps lock off

See if this does the trick for you
regards
paws
Thank you Digerati and Paws. I got a minor issue right here. I spoke with Netgear's tech support. They told me the same exact steps that Paws has gone through (thanks): -Hold reset router button for 30 seconds. -Power cycle -Restart modem Thanks Digerati, it is "admin". However, I only got so far as to two scenarios: 1. Netgear's Wizard told me that it has detected a "static IP Address", when it should have been dynamic (I have checked with Verizon). I told the wizard to recheck again after I power cycled and it still told me that it was static. 2. In the basic settings of the router, I told the router that I did not need a user name to connect. I clicked "Apply". However once the progress bar reached 100%, I was stopped several times with a message: "CLAIRE-PC (192.168.1.3) is managing this device". The only machine that is using the modem is my desktop. No other users. Thanks guys.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI