Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Export Address Book in .csv

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 weybrew

weybrew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:42 PM

I have been trying to export my address book in Outlook Express 6 (WIN XP) in CSV format, but no matter what I try, I always get only the first page... no folders or sub-folders. If I Export in WAB format, I get all the address book. I want to use Gmail and Import but need CSV format. What am I doing wrong?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:57 AM

Hi, Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the CSV and address book. Try this: 1 Open Outlook Express 2 Click on File 3 Click on Export 4 Click on Address Book 5 Highlight "Text file, comma separated value, by left clicking on it 6 Click on Export 7 Browse to your preferred location for saving this file 8 Under File name, give it a suitable name (addy bookjuly08) will do just fine, but without the brackets 9 Under Save as type, ensure Comma Separated value *.csv is shown. 10 Click on Save 11 Under Save exported file as.... either browse to where you want it or accept the default , writing it down in full on paper so you can find it again! 12 Put a check mark/tick in the boxes to the left of the lines you want to save 13 Click finish The command should now execute automatically and for a brief moment you may see a progress bar followed pretty quickly by a message "Address Book Export Process has completed" see how you go Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 weybrew

weybrew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:47 PM

Thanks, Paws for the reply. Your procedure is exactly what I've been doing and it works just fine, except I only end up with the first page of my address book. I've tried highlighting a single folder before beginning, but I still get pg 1. The steps sound so logical yet I'm getting no results.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:02 AM

Hi, Ok, Understand,...... I think :) A) Can you expand please on exactly what you mean when you say you are only getting the first page, ...........when you export using CSV you get the lines that you have checkmarked/ticked in step 12 above...nothing more and hopefully nothing less......(this is how the export facility using CSV works). B) I am not sure also what you mean by highlighting a single folder before beginning......that is not part of the procedure C) Can you tell us please, which line (see step 12 in previous post ) is the one(s) that you are not getting? Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 weybrew

weybrew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:03 PM

When I do the Export to my desktop, I get an Excel file. If I open it, I see the complete information on the 23 contacts I have listed under Main Identity. Under Main Identity in my Address Book I have six sub-folders. None of these were Exported. So, when I say I got only pg 1, I mean that I only get the Main Identity listing.... all of the information on each of them, but only these contacts. Hope that is a bit more clear.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:18 PM

Hi Yes , Ok that is correct and exactly how it works. Its a limitation of CSV format! Regards paws

#7 weybrew

weybrew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:59 PM

Then how do you export any of the other folders? I tried doing them one at a time and yet no matter which sub-folder I highlight before I begin, I only get the Main Identity list.

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

Hi, I think you'll find its WAB or type them in manually....using export and csv will only copy the lines selected in step 12 referred to above. Regards paws

#9 weybrew

weybrew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:39 AM

I want to Import into Gmail which requires CSV format so WAB won't do it for me. I did get a tip to open the Address Book in SAFE mode (I didn't know you could do that) by doing START>RUN>WAB /a before opening the Address Book. I did the export to CSV procedure and got the entire Address Book, no just the Main Identity page. Still no folders, but at least all the contacts. Hope this helps someone else.

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:52 AM

:thumbup: