Hey guys, I use windows update manually about once a month. I tried to use it on my pc today and for some reason it kept coming up with error number 0x8DDD0004.
"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. Take the following steps to try solving the problem:
Refresh the page.
In Internet Explorer, delete your Temporary Internet Files by going to the Tools menu and clicking Internet Options.
Close and then re-open Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer (Add-ons Disabled) mode only prevents the use of ActiveX controls, including those used by the Microsoft Update website. To get updates using this browser mode, you need to turn on Automatic Updates on your computer or visit the Windows Update website.
If these steps don’t work, try visiting the site later or using the resources provided below."
I have gone through all of the steps to make sure my active x is enabled and the wu is manually enabled, my history has been cleared as well as everything else. I even upgraded to IE 7 with no success. I tried to use the microsoft update and I can get all the way until the active x bar is supposed to appear and it never does (this is why I think its the active x control).
I'm running windows xp sp2. If you need any more info please let me know as I'm not sure what all you pro's might need to diagnose it. I appreciate the help and hope I got this is the right section. If not someone please move it for me.
THANK YOU!
Greg
I tried all of the re registers, I downloaded the program and I get a failed install that says sfc.dll not found. reinstalling this app may fix the problem.
Could you search for sfc.dll on your hard drive? Just go to Start | Find and fill in the search box. Make sure to include hidden and protected files. If it is present, it may be an indication of a malware problem. What kind of security software (antivirus, antispyware, firewall, etc) do you have installed?
I was able to find it in "windows\servicepackfiles\i386" but I am also in the process of manually downloading sp3.
I run Nortons 2005. A few months ago you guys help me get ride of the vundo virus and it had messed with a few of the registery keys as well. I'm not totally positive that I didnt delete some of the files from the installed programs list either though. I'm always trying to filter through it to get rid of any carp** on there that I might not need.
As soon as I get sp3 downloaded and installed I'm going to try it again to see if it may have replaced the files and fixed it and I will let you guys know the outcome of it.
sfc.dll is a system file, so it wouldn't appear in your Add/Remove programs. Vundo can remove the sfc.dll file altogether, which may have been what happened. Do you have your Windows Installation CD handy? If so, you can replace the file with the following command (after inserting the disk): cmd /k expand D:\i386\sfc.dl_ %systemroot%\system32\sfc.dll
Where D:\ is your CD-ROM drive letter. Use Start | Run to get to the run window.
Well, I ended up making it worse and I messed up my windows completely so I had to reinstall. I'm having to burn my setup stuff because I cant get on the internet with that pc. Thanks for all of the help though guys.