Hi
Over the past couple of days Ive had a problem with viewing pages in my browser & I think it may be a windows update that is causing it.
My Internet connection works but i cant access or view any sites.
Ive tried three methods to over come this problem
1.) I disabled ZoneAlarm in favour of windows built in firewall
2.) With ZoneAlarm enabled and the offending windows update (KB951748) uninstalled
3.) Windows Update (KB951748) installed and Zonealarm enable but "Internet Zone Security" set to Medium.
All three allow me to view web pages but I want to use method 2.) but Windows keeps bugging me to update.
Any Advice on this Please?
PS I also can't view video's from this site (In Internet Explorer) where I could before. Has this anything to do with the above problem?
If me, I would do a System Restore to just before the problem started. Then go out to Check Point and download the new and fixed version 7.483.000 of Zone Alarm here. After the new ZA is up, you should be able to go with option 4.) All Windows Updates installed and ZA configured the way you want it.
If not related to that issue, I would also run CCleaner, a great disk cleaning program that is excellent at cleaning the system of 1000s of temporary files, including all history, old logs, Recycle Bin contents, and cache files. Deleting cookies fixes many site access issues. During installation, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar. Before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours is unchecked. To delete all "tracking" cookies, (which I urge you do), you must delete all cookies, so ensure the Cookies setting remains checked. Ensure you know your site credentials (user name and password) for sites you frequent; you will have to login again at next visit. Beginners and experts alike will benefit from the excellent, CCleaner Beginner's Guide.
I would also run a supplemental scan with Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) to make sure your system is free of malware too. Let us know the results.
Hi Digerati
Cheers for the advice. What I ended up doing was using a backup disc to restore my computer to an earlier state as I didn't have system restore points before the problem started. So I done that then followed your methods with Zone Alarm and am now up and running, so thanks for that.
Can I ask another question about the recycling bin and Disk space.
I have one hard drive spit into two C:/ & D:/. Can I use the space on the D Drive and turn of the one C:?
about the recycling bin and Disk space.
I have one hard drive spit into two C:/ & D:/. Can I use the space on the D Drive and turn of the one C:?
No, you cannot use one bin for all drives - even though that is how it "appears" to work. You can turn off the recycle bin for each drive independently, but I don't recommend that unless your computer is networked to a file server that dynamically, or at least daily, backs up your data files.
I consider myself pretty careful at what I delete, and I am the only user of this computer. But still, I have accidentally deleted things I should not have and was glad to simply go to the recycle bin and unerase it rather than dig into a backup. But I don't need big trash can either. So I set mine on "Global" and 2% (the default is 10%) of the drives. If I attempt to delete a file that is too big for the recycle bin, the system yells the file is too big, do I want to permanently delete, or cancel - giving me an opportunity to make sure I am not about to do something stupid.
And once a week or so, I run my crud cleaner of choice, which empties the recycle bin, if I hadn't already done it manually.
I do recommend you enable System Restore. The good thing about SR is that it will dynamically resize itself if disk space gets tight.
You sound concerned about free disk space - how much do you have on each drive?
You sound concerned about free disk space - how much do you have on each drive?
ha ha yes I am concerned about disk space and I really really need to get a new computer but i'll have to make do with the one Ive got for the time being.
Okay - well, obviously, you don't have a lot of, but 11Gb free is enough. You might want to run your cleaner, boot into Safe Mode and defrag your disks - a task that is more important when free space is getting cramped.