Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

No IE After Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

Hello, I am working on my girlfriends PC and was having issues with some software, sounds, etc and decided to upgrade from WIN XP Home to XP Pro and after updates, I cannot get IE to come up at all or even to check new updates. Also getting errors such as: Could not load file or assembly "MOM.Implementation" or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. The file "ps2.bat" on HP Installation Disk #1 (Key Board) is needed. The ordinal 237 could not be located in the dynamics link library IEFRAME.dll Error loading InetCpl.cpl. Operating system cannot run %1 (I think this is an issue with CCleaner) Please help!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

Did you do an upgrade or a format and clean install? If upgrade then I would recommend you save any data you need then do a clean install.

Clean Install- WhatTheTech
Clean Install - Michael Stevens Tech

If you don't want to do that, we can proceed one step at a time and see if we can get this fixed.

Need more info then please.
  • Open Device Manager - (Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager)
  • Expand Network Adapters
Is there anything with yellow marks? If so, what?

Edited by Ztruker, 21 March 2011 - 06:39 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the help and I need to do step by step as she has tones of pictures, videos. I did get IE up and running by utilizing the update checker from file hippo and installed IE8 and doing scan for other updates. As for Network Adapters -- Video Controller & Video Controller (VGA Compatible) are the only two.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

What is the make and model number of the PC?

Rich

#5 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:02 PM

HP Pavilion a767c 3.20GHz 1MB L2 cache 800MHz Front Side Bus

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

Get any missing drivers from here: Software & Driver Downloads - HP Pavilion a767c Desktop PC

Next, try running System File Checker (sfc) as follows:

Click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter or click on GO.

If any required files are missing or corrupted it will prompt you to put the XP Pro install CD in the drive. Do so and let it run to completion.

Let me know if that helps.

Rich

#7 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

Hey -- sorry for the delay! I went to HP website and downloaded some things and installed to fix some driver issues, but wasn't sure if I should run the BIOS program or firmware as everything is running well. If you think I should; for the firmware I only downloaded the latest one and not sure if I need to run the older dates first. So, I was able to clear all viruses/spyware, etc. Got IE running, ATI running, Audio running; updated all drivers/software with no hardware issues and everything seems good -- however, I am wondering if you can assist with me getting her PC to run faster because it is very, very slow and she has lots of memory/disk space, so I am not sure if there is something else going on. I am running a scan disk check right now, so please let me know and thanks for the assistance thus far!

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

If you don't have any problems don't update the BIOS. There is always a small chance it will fail and leave you with a dead computer that only the manufacturer can fix.

As for running slow., read the following:

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem.

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, boot to Safe Mode again, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system.
Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Rich

#9 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

Hey Ztruker, Thanks for the info in regards to msconfig -- do you have any links in regards to services and what is safe to disable, etc as well?

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:02 PM

Black Viper has excellent info on Services for Windows Operating Systems. Here is one for XP: Black Viper's Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations

Rich

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

Great, I will looked into this and let you know how things go!

#12 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

Okay -- went through msconfig and services and took care of things not needed, but it seems to still be slow; however, I do know that this PC only has 512MB of RAM and I have order 4GB to max out the RAM and I hope this make a huge difference. If you have any other tweaks; please let me know. Also, I notice that when I try and open up services or other programs, I get the MS Machine Debug Manager (see attached) and I tried disabling this in services, but it still pops up and when auto or manual, still same issue...

#13 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:50 PM

Additional memory will definitely help. Note that if you are using a 32 bit OS (most likely) then you will only see about 3.2GB of the 4GB you install. This is normal and is a hardware/architecture restriction. Let's see if we can get some info about your computer:

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here: PCPitstop Full Tests

You must use Internet Explorer as it needs to install an ActiveX program.

Note: Vista users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"

If you haven't already registered, Click - Sign up now! (left hand column in User Login)

Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.

Once you have your Results, please post the URL (the http:// stuff) back here into this thread for review.

Note: Vista users, please close your instance of IE "Running as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.

If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem.

Since this site is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of automated utilities, and will assist you in manually correcting any problems and settings necessary to optimize your machine's performance. Ask your questions here. We'll help you walk through any necessary steps.

Rich

#14 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

Here is the site:

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24295208

#15 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

The first thing I see is your hard drive performance is sub-par. If you click on Check Disk Speed (Drive C:) you'll see the recommendations.

Next, check to see if your drives are running in DMA or PIO mode.

Open Device Manager by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties. Click on the Hardware tab then click on the Device Manager button.
In Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right click on the Primary IDE channel, click Properties, then the Advanced Settings tab.
Current Transfer Mode will be listed there for any device connected to the channel.
Repeat for Secondary IDE channel.

If any are running in PIO mode, select DMA if available from the Transfer Mode drop down selection box. Click OK then close out the remaining windows.

Good info on DMA/PIO mode here: The stuttering DVD drive or the lame hard disk

You have a fast, 3.2Ghz P4 processor but only 512MB RAM. Upgrade to a minimum of 1GB and you'll see a definite performance improvement.

Heck, make that 4GB and you have a computer that will run Windows 7 very well. I speak from experience as I have a Dell Precision 370 which is a P4 3.2Ghz system with 4GB ram and lots of hard drive space and it runs Windows 7 beautifully.

Edit: One last thing. I see you are running AVG as your Anti-virus software. It's good but still a resource hog. I don't know if you're using the free or Pro version but I would suggest uninstalling it and giving Microsoft Security Essentials a try. It's worked very well for me. I also have the full (paid) version of Malware Bytes Anti Malware running which does an excellent job of protecting me from bogus web sites and Spyware/Scareware infections.

Also, one last info collection. Please download and run Autoruns for Windows. It's a tool by Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell which does an excellent job of collecting all the possible startup info for your computer. Once it's collected the data, do a File, Save and save the Autoruns.arn file. Zip it and upload here so I can take a look at it.

Edited by Ztruker, 05 April 2011 - 05:13 PM.

Rich