This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Reallyx3 slow laptop

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

I'm posting this for my roommate…she's been having problems with her laptop for a while now, but just recently things have gotten really bad.

Let me give you some info about her computer habits and the laptop

- The laptop is quite new, only a year old..

- My roommate NEVER scan her computer for viruses and malwares. (I don't know how she's gotten away from being infected)

- She never had a problem with slow computer before, until about 3 months ago she had a shop re-installed Windows for her, ever since then the computer speed have been declining constantly. (I suspect that the shop somehow took her RAM (is it possible?) because I remembered that her RAM was 512MB when she bought it, but now it has decreased to only 256MB)

- A couple of days ago, her computer suffered from STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure} problem. She asked me to re-install Windows for her, but as soon as I put the CD in… the computer magically turned to its' old slow self again…

- I did a PCPitstop Overdrive scan of her computer (it took an hour!!!) ..but there seems to be nothing wrong with her computer, just a few maintenance problems.. so if you could have a look >> Here

Any advice or suggestions as to what might be the cause of the problem would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
FK

P.S. Just to inform you that I've posted the same topic at Geekstogo.com due to the emergency of this problem. If I have gotten a rely from either one of the site, I will tell you immediately.
I'm sure more expereninced tech will chime in either here or on Geek2Go. If I was to guess I'd say the ram has gone bad, You can check and see if both sticks are in the system by opening the compartment on the bottom where the ram goes to see if both are still there. I doubt that a shop would take the ram, If anything they tell you it was bad and try and sell you new ram. Just from the stop code, and the symptoms it sure sounds like a bad ram issue to me. Tonka P.S. Doing a virus/malware scan can never hurt either. But remember never post HJT logs anywhere but in the malware thread.
Hi Tonka, Thank you for the reply… I have recieved some comments from Geekstogo and they suggested that it might be ram problem as well as a possible virus infection like you mentioned. I'm going to tell my roommate to scan her computer to see if the latter is a part of the problem too. Thank you for your suggestion F P.S. I don't want to hog the human resources, so if you want to close this thread it's fine by me :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI