Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

autorun is not working properly

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 danszczerba

danszczerba

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

hi, i have a problem with autorun of my cd/dvd rom drive. it all started with a malware infection that was taken care of here at WhattheTech. here is the link to that thread:
http://forums.whatth...howtopic=118669

after solving the malware problem, my cd/dvd drives' autorun is not working correctly (please refer to page 4, half way down, from the above thread link). whenever i insert a software rom or a dvdrom, i am not presented with a welcome screen(the screen that asks you if you want to play, install, visit homepage, view readme files, etc.) of the respected rom. instead, i am presented with a windows explorer screen with the contents of the respected rom. the picture below is a Windows xp pro cd:
Posted Image

when i open the autorun.inf file, it looks like this(which by the way is the same in every dvd/cd rom i insert, i have tried several and all autorun.inf files are the same):
Posted Image

i was told, by a Super Member of this forum(he who helped me with my malware problem-thx again), "If you notice in the autorun.inf file it shows icon=Setup.exe, 0 it should read icon=Setup.exe, 1. Make that change in the file, save it and see how that works for you".

so, at the risk of sounding stupid-are these "autorun.inf" files only found on the cd/dvd rom? or is there a universal autorun.inf file located in windows somewhere? i ask because, as i said above, i tried several different cd/dvd roms, and they both had the same .inf file= "icon=Setup.exe, 0". i tried changing the .inf file like as requested, but being that it is located on the cd it is a "read only" .inf file, i can't change anythig....or am i looking in the wrong place???

for info, i am running win xp pro/sp3 and my cd/dvd rom drives' autoplay is set to "prompt me each time to choose an action". music cds, mp3 cds, jpeg cds, etc. all prompt. only cd/dvd roms are opening windows explorer.
any help would be greatly welcomed. thanks

Edited by danszczerba, 08 June 2011 - 03:09 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord and Riding motorcycles and computers.

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

i was told, by a Super Member of this forum(he who helped me with my malware problem-thx again), "If you notice in the autorun.inf file it shows icon=Setup.exe, 0 it should read icon=Setup.exe, 1. Make that change in the file, save it and see how that works for you".

so, at the risk of sounding stupid-are these "autorun.inf" files only found on the cd/dvd rom? or is there a universal autorun.inf file located in windows somewhere? i ask because, as i said above, i tried several different cd/dvd roms, and they both had the same .inf file= "icon=Setup.exe, 0". i tried changing the .inf file like as requested, but being that it is located on the cd it is a "read only" .inf file, i can't change anythig....or am i looking in the wrong place???

for info, i am running win xp pro/sp3 and my cd/dvd rom drives' autoplay is set to "prompt me each time to choose an action".
any help would be greatly welcomed. thanks

Hiya Danszczerba,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the drive. I am sure someone will have a answer for you when reading this. But for the time if you are not to sure of changing the icon=Setup.exe, 0 to a 1, You can do is when that file is open, click on file, scroll down and click on save as and give it this name Autorun.bak

This way you will have a back of that file in case something goes wrong by changing the 0 to a 1. By doing this you can try what (Jeffce the super member) suggested to see if that will work for you or not. If it does not work then you still can go back and put things back the way it was or worst if that file gets lost you will have a backup copy of it.

Make a back up copy of that file and try what Jeffce said to try and see if that will work, then post back here.

autoplay is working again. THANKS!!! :-) still have a tiny tiny problem though. here it is:
i have all my drives set-up to prompt with an action to take. and that is good, that's the way i want it.
all drives do this EXCEPT for my dvd/cd rom drive-it automatically opens a windows explorer screen of the contents of the cd/dvd.
-when music original music cds are read i am presented with a "take action" prompt
-when reading, for example "windows xp(software cd) or Gothic 3(pc dvd-rom), it opens the windows explorer view of the contents :-(

my question is-how can i set up my cd/dvd drive to automatically launch these software cds. for example, the way my computer USED to handle this was when i put a game dvd-rom in my drive, the game launcher would launch, showing the game start screen, asking me if i wanted to play, install, visit website etc. etc. or if i layed a software rom in, like, norton security suite, i would be presented with the norton screen and the options install, visit website etc. etc. NOW i only get the windows explorer breakdown of the cd or dvd, and have to look for setup.exe or launcher.exe or html pages etc. etc.

how can we get this back the way it was before my malware cleansing?

and also, when i downloaded ERUNT it came with NTREGOPT-what is NTREGOPT and do i need it? if it is a hdd defragger, i use Perfect Disk.

Found this in the other topic for other tech's to see and to wait on the results of the above suggestions from me.

Jimbo1

Edited by Jimbo1, 08 June 2011 - 03:30 PM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#3 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

danszczerba,

The problem with "the way things used to work" is that - granted - it is very handy to pop a cd in and have it just start playing... but by the same token, is an infected CD is popped in... you are infected before you have any chance to catch it. Therefore, it is much safer to have to tell the CD to play. Even Microsoft finally reccomended that autoplay be disabled on XP machines. (Though I seem to be having trouble finding the link to that recommendation at the moment).

All that being said.... It is your computer to set up as you choose. Microsoft does make a wizard that I've seen successfully used to "correct" autoplay. It can be found here: http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#4 danszczerba

danszczerba

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

hi, thanks for the replies.

@Tomk,
i tried you link, here is the logfile:

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2011-06-09 05:12:49]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 3) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [G:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Present}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [G:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: OK
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Silent)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

@Jimbo1

hi, like i said-"i tried changing the .inf file like as requested, but being that it is located on the cd it is a "read only" .inf file, i can't change anythig....or am i looking in the wrong place???"-what Jeffce suggested sounds good, but how to i change the .inf file if it is a "read only" file imbedded on the cdrom? OR, like i asked, is there an autorun.inf file located in windows somewhere i need to change? what Jeffce suggested means i would have to change every autorun.inf file for every cd/dvdrom i use, if i understand correctly :-(

#5 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:24 AM

The problem with "the way things used to work" is that - granted - it is very handy to pop a cd in and have it just start playing... but by the same token, is an infected CD is popped in... you are infected before you have any chance to catch it. Therefore, it is much safer to have to tell the CD to play. Even Microsoft finally recommended that autoplay be disabled on XP machines. (Though I seem to be having trouble finding the link to that recommendation at the moment).

danszczerba,

What TomK said is very true, after doing some reading and research on this, and finding out about the autorun.inf virus out on the net, what the malware folks (TomK and Jeffce are saying is true). I am not a malware expert, these guys are and they go through very intensive training and really know the ends and out of all attacks. Even Microsoft recommends this feature be disabled and this is comming from Microsoft themselves.

But , here is a link for you to try if you want to see if you can get that feature working like you once had, but to quote TomK

the way things used to work"

, quote unquote may be the best option and a way to prevent infections. But anyway here is the link and read over to see if this may help with your problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135

Jimbo1

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#6 danszczerba

danszczerba

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:15 AM

ok ok :-) but i would like to know what the dangers are of autorun when using ORIGINAL software roms from RESPECTABLE software makers. how could they infect me with malware. i will pose this question in the malware forum. i tried the above link, and nothing above fixes my autorun. the suggestions made in the link either do not apply to my problem or are correctly adjusted. do i have a hardware problem or is it a windows problem? am i possibly in the wrong forum? :huh: let me know if i should switch to the windows forum and we can close this thread. thanks

Edited by danszczerba, 09 June 2011 - 08:39 AM.

#7 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

i tried the above link, and nothing above fixes my autorun. the suggestions made in the link either do not apply to my problem or are correctly adjusted. do i have a hardware problem or is it a windows problem?
am i possibly in the wrong forum? :huh:
let me know if i should switch to the windows forum and we can close this thread.
thanks

1st. In the tech areas we do not close threads.
2nd. They remain open. You are in the correct area.
3rd. If what TomK, Jeffce and I suggested did not work, then it could be a deeper problem inside of windows or a registry problem. The above link should have fixed the problem and is what I have used in the past.

I will past this one to someone else to see what they may offer you.

Jimbo1

#8 danszczerba

danszczerba

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

ok, thanks Jimbo1 :thumbup:

#9 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

Here is another link for you to try and posted by one of the Malware Techs.

http://www.moonvalle...avdc/enable.htm

If not One we will try.

Jimbo1

#10 danszczerba

danszczerba

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

thanks, tried the suggestions from the link. unfortunately, they did not help. still no autorun. i have decided to leave my autorun off on the advice from the malware department. still, it be nice to know WHY my autorun is not working properly :-(

#11 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:02 AM

thanks, tried the suggestions from the link. unfortunately, they did not help. still no autorun.
i have decided to leave my autorun off on the advice from the malware department.
still, it be nice to know WHY my autorun is not working properly :-(

Again the Malware folks are the one who can tell you this, it has something to do with one of the programs that cleaned up your infection.

I am at a lost of why all the other links did not help you fix the autorun, To me it should have.Their is 1 more option but I need to have someone explain to you of how to make a back up of your registry files before using that one in case it does not work out, messing around in that part can be real serious and you need to know and understand the importance and understanding of having a good back-up to restore in case something goes wrong.

When I get through talking to them I will let you know. Another suggestion if you want to take this upon yourself is do a google search of this problem you are having to study up on it to see what you may find. Words of Warning here and as I said dealing or messing around with your registry is very serious and making a mistake can cause you more problems, more that you want.

So I would advise you if you do not know what to do or how to make the changes suggested, leave it be for the time.

Give me a little time and I will get back with you to see what we may be able to come up with.

Jimbo1

Edited by Jimbo1, 10 June 2011 - 08:04 AM.