This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Putting HDs from one computer to another does not work

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Gurus: :)

Put the old hard disks in the new computer, at boot after selection of safe mode/normal mode, it loads up drivers and then gives :wacko: error message:
"Check for viruses, remove the newly installed drives or hard disk controllers. Error 0x00000078 (0xF78E0528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Particulars of both old and the new systems:

OLD
BIOS: COMPAQ - 20020913 686P2 v3.14 Dt. 09/13/02
CPU: Intel Pentium III, Code name Coppermine, Clock 866.67


NEW
Desktop PC HP Pavillion 500
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies Ver. AM37308 Dt: 12/16/2002
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Freq 1998.38MHz


Hard Disk Drives: WDC WD205AA and Maxtor 6Y080P0

I can access the drives through Puppy Linux, the drives are fine and the data in them is accesible fine too. I am a novice in Linux. I do have the windows installation CD, but i am afraid that I may destroy my data :( (lot of SWs installed and configured). Resetting the new computer BIOS is also an option :o …..which i am leaving upto you guys to guide me.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards;
It sounds like you put the old Windows boot drive into the new computer as the boot drive, in an attempt to use that copy of Windows on your new computer. First, if that is an OEM disk that came with your Compaq, then you should check your license - I suspect it says that version of Windows is licensed to that Compaq, and what you are doing is illegal. If that is a retail license of Windows, and the old machine is dead, then what you should have done is copied all your important data before moving the disk. Now that you can access it with Linux, I would do that now. Then attempt to do a repair install on the new system.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI