This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

System rebuild - massive problems. Please Help

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi everyone, great forum you have here. This is my first post and I wish I wasn't this frustrated! I have successfully built 2 systems previously. My latter system developed a problem and stopped booting after having been problem free for 2 years. The system spec was: win xp pro, 2 GB DDR400 RAM, MSI K8N Diamond, AMD Athlon FX-55, 2x 74GB WD Raptors in RAID 0 via Nvidia RAID controller, Ati Radeon X800pro Essentially when I tried to boot it up last week, a blue screen came up saying there was an error in the hard drive(s). I then ran the WD diagnostic tools through DOS and it appeared there is no problem with the Raptors. I wrote 0s (full erase) on both of them anyway as I thought it best to start from scratch. As I have lost my original win xp pro setup disc, I bought win xp pro x64 as I thought it might be a good opportunity to upgrade OS. The problem is, xp pro x64 is not recognising my Raptor drives and I am unable to install it on them. I tried un-RAIDing the drives, RAIDing the drives, tried using the onboard Silicon images SATA RAID controller and the NVIDIA RAID controller. The motherboard seems to find my drives ok, but when it comes to windows setup, no hard drives are recognised!! Where am I going wrong??!?? I am so frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Alex
Hi there, I see some time has past since the last post, but if you're still interested… You will need to provide the XP installation with drivers during the initial installation setup. This is the part where you need to press F6 to specify a driver, then load it by floppy. The XP installation will then use that driver to detect your hard drives, and installation can continue from that point. I think the trickiest part is that you will need Windows XP 64-bit drivers for your Nvidia RAID controller… Cheers Troy

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI