This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

New System Headache

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi All… I just installed a new system with the following components; MObO: ECS G31T-M Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9400 RAM: 2GB DDR2 Video: GeForce 8500GT Sound: GeForce XFi-Xtreme Audio Network: WMP300N I created 2 partitions and installed XP SP3 on the C drive. The problem is this….. After installing all the drivers, the systems boots up fine. After sitting idle, the system would freeze. When I rebooted, it would not recognize the HD at all. After all my cks, I tried to re-install windows, but now it says it cannot find any hard drive disks…. WTH???? I'm sure I must have missed something. Pls help a brother out…. Peace…..

I just installed a new system

That pretty much ties everyone's hands. You do not want to jeopardize any warranties.

That said, there are a couple things you need to check first.

(1) Are you 200 percent positive you do not have more motherboard standoffs screwed into the case than you do motherboard mounting holes. Cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards, so they have many more mounting holes than needed. If you have a brass standoff under the motherboard where there is no motherboard mounting hole - that's a problem - potentially resulting in shorting out critical circuits on the motherboard when power is applied. Often just removing the extra standoffs clears the short. But in extreme cases, too much current destroys the motherboard, and everything connected to it, to include the CPU, RAM, and graphics card.

(2) Make sure all connectors are securely fastened - especially the drive.

(3) When you first booted your system with drives attached, did you go into the System Boot Menu? This is usually to set the date and time, but also allows the BIOS to read in the drive information. If you only exited without saving, it can cause the drive recognition issues as the system seeks out a boot drive, again and again.

(4) Did you apply TIM, thermal interface material, when mounting the CPU? What are your temperatures? Do you have good front to back air flow through the case?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI