This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

My Linux Server

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

The motherboard for my Linux server has died. The hard drive is fine.

I want to transfer it to another system, but the old system was really ancient.:

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7vig+pro+d

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlo…A1333AMS3C.html

256 MB DDR266 RAM

GeForce2 MX 32MB Video Card.

I ran Linux Mandriva 8 server using it for an email server, file server, and web page server. I retrieved all the files off of it, because I had another hard drive with Linux Mandriva 10 on it. I would like to set my server back up, but because the system was so ancient, it won't work with any other chipset.

I am wondering if there is a way, using my other Linux Drive, to set up my old Linux Server hard drive to work on a new server system. I don't want to have to start all over again.

Also, it seems like I can't access my web page files on the old Linux Drive. It just keeps telling me that it is unable to access the folder. I suspect it is because only certain users are permitted to access the folder and accessing it from a different drive might not be allowed. Any suggestions for that?
OK, well I basically started a new server, but I still have all the old files and such. I have been messing around with the settings, though I hesitate to make any drastic changes. I copied over some of the old server network settings (from postfix, samba, mysql, apache, etc), but I think I am missing some kind of crucial step. In the apache logs, it keeps telling me that the file doesn't exist. And my email connection continues to be refused by my server. I am now running Linux Mandriva 2010 Power Pack. Networking is one of my weaker computer skills, so I am a little out of my depth. I have been fighting with this for over two weeks, and I am so frustrated. :pullhair: Can anyone tell me what I might be missing?
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I have gone to this forum, and a couple people tried to help me restore my old server. They were a little impatient and a bit rude to me, so I don't think they will be inclined to help me. Thank you, though.
So, my website resolves, but now it simply comes up blank. I still cannot use the email; it says the connection is refused. Any suggestions?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI