This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Unstable Hitachi 800mz Win98SE

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've been trying to bring up a Hitachi 800mz with integrated sound and 512 mb memory. It is unstable, frequently requiring re-boots, blue screens. I installed the 815 chipset drivers after the OS was installed (Win98SE). All the devices in the device manager are OK, except the 8255x PCI ethernet card is disabled because I can't get the 2wire DSL to be recognized, and ATT won't/can't help with Win98SE. The computer has two USB ports, there is a 7 port powered hub in one port and a logitech USB camera in the other. The hub has a flash drive, a APC UPsupply monitor, a MFC Brother printer and a Netgear wireless adapter. The wireless adapter is what I'm using right now. The Brother printer has about 6 'drivers' (items that begin with Br…). The computer has a 40 gig C: a 80 Gig D: and a DVD and a CD-RW drives and working OK. Maybe someone will see something. I ran Spybot S&D and it found multiple adware, notably about 40 'My Web Search', which I had S S&D remove. I did a Trend Micro House call scan and it found another MyWEBSEARCH that I guess SS&D missed. Thanks, Russ Gilbert 06/11/2008 the next day. Thanks to Digerati. I removed the Nvidia GeForce AGP card and installed drivers for the 815 integrated graphics. I'm hoping this will solve the problem. (I can't add a followup messages, my IE crashes.) So I edit the original.
Hi Russ,

First, I removed your email address from your post because, sadly, bad guys are known to troll public forums looking for valid addresses to add to their spam lists, or to sell to other spammers. I don't think you want that. And besides, the purpose of forums is for "open discussions", which email (or PMs) does not allow.

I also removed your HJT log because it does not belong here in the Hardware forum. Normally I would have just moved your post to the appropriate forum, but I think there are some things to check here first.

First, this is obviously an older PC so that brings up several concerns, especially with the hardware you have attached and loaded.

Unexpected reboots and BSODs can be caused by many things, including heat, failing or overstressed power supply, bad graphics card, failing RAM, failing motherboard, failing attached devices.

The information provided on the BSOD is important. You should be getting a Stop Message with a code and some text that may give a clue as to what is happening.

I recommend the following approach. Power down AND UNPLUG the computer from the wall. Open the side of the case and touch bare metal to discharge any static in your body. Do this frequently. Make sure there is not a blanket of heat trapping dust and dirt over the componenets, fans, vents etc. Give each fan a flick to make sure it turns properly. Inspect the motherboard for bulging or leaking electrolytic capacitors. These failed or failing capacitors are a common cause of sudden, but seemingly random system lock ups and reboots.

The capacitors look like tall soda cans, many of which surround the CPU socket. All older and most newer motherboards use electrolytic capacitors, which contain a liquid electrolyte. Failing (including flawed and/or abused/over-heated) capacitors literally bulge at the seams due to excessive internal pressures. Extreme (and very rare) cases result in a firecracker type explosion that can really stink up a room.

Typically, electrolyte just oozes from the pressure relief points stamped in the tops of the capacitor casings (seen as a symbol or letter). The electrolyte can be caustic to motherboards and flesh. Look for white to dark-brown, dried liquid or foam on the tops or bottoms of the capacitors. Bulging capacitors are a sign leakage is about to occur. A motherboard with bulging or leaky capacitors can be repaired, but often it is more cost effective in the long run to replace the motherboard.

Inspect the power supply and determine its specifications. Typically older PSUs were barely adequate to power the hardware that originally came with the computer. Then they are often overloaded as users add additional drives, more RAM, etc.

Disconnect all external devices - you don't need any of those USB devices to see if the computer works fine without them.

With the side panel open, fire up the PC and without reaching in, ensure all the fans spin freely.

Now, are you able to boot up and stay running?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI