This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Some programs can't connect

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I'm using Windows XP SP2. This happend a few weeks ago, my computer was working perfectly fine until I noticed one day that one of my programs didn't work. Some of my programs can't connect for some reason. It's not the router, the router firewall is disabled and other computers in the network can connect using the same programs. I've always had Windows firewall disabled and I disabled ZoneAlarm too, but it still doesn't work. So far I've noticed Firefox, AOL Instant Messenger, Steam, and World of Warcraft won't connect. IE and MSN can connect. Anyone know how I might be able to fix this?
Is the system patched? Are you getting the "error" message that FF could not connect? Is ZoneAlarm the Free version or a purchased suscription? Check the "PROGRAM CONTROL" tab in the interface and check if FF, AIM, Steam, and WoW are allowed in both the Internet and Trusted Zones. This is only for ACCESS. Not SERVER.
Yes, I believe the system is patched. Well it opens up the unable to connect page. ZoneAlarm is the free version. All of them are already allowed in both the Internet and Trusted Zones.

Pretty much everything but IE and MSN doesn't connect =/

Anyone have any ideas?


JoFlip:

Just re-capping and I'll throw a few thing at you to check.

Since your on a network and you mention that all the other computers work on the internet, that at least points toward your computer, or maybe something with the router.

I'm not sure of your level of comfort with computers, and hardware/software. But the router could be blocking traffic to your PC, and even though they're disabled some firewalls and antivirus will still block traffic.

One thing you might try (not sure if it will work or not) is Enable the firewall, and anti-virus(if you using one) and then remove the exceptions for FF, Aim, Etc. and then re-add them, sometimes when updates or versions change it can change the signiture in the firewalls.

Just something to try.
Good luck

Tonka

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI