Did some searching through other posts but didn't see anything that really matched up:
When attempting to type anything, anywhere, the cursor acts as if someone is holding down the backspace key. If I click somewhere in the body of a document, the cursor moves backwards one space at a time rapidly until it reaches the top, or front of the text line or whole document. The problem has progessively gotten worse over the last two days. I also have an intermittant problem when clicking the icon on the desktop I am aiming the cursor at (the icon in the top left corner of the desktop highlights blue regardless of the icon I'm placing the cursor on). Have run a virus scan, Sbybot scan, Adaware scan - all come back clear. Programs open and otherwise function properly. One other symptom to note is the loss of funtion of the "4 thru 9" keys on the number pad, which began a few months ago. I have just been using the number srtip over the letter keys. I can post a log when I get home but I thought I would try to run down some possible causes while at work today.
Could it be as simple as a faulty mouse or keyboard? The keyboard is at least five years old. Corded optical mouse is about nine months old.
Any thoughts?
UPDATE: I asked my 12 year old if he had noticed the PC acting up and he said that the "left arrow" key doesn't work anymore. When I hold the left arrow key down on my keyboard at work I am able to recreate the problem I have of clicking an icon on the desktop. I think I'm buying a keyboard at lunch.
The computer I'm having a problem with is at home. The computer I sent the post to the forum on is at work and is fine. Sorry about the confusion. On the home computer I noted the cursor problem in a Google search page, and in a Word document. I tried typing in an existing Word document and a new blank document. I have not attempted typing inside a webpage. As far as loose connections, Nothing has been moved recently but I do have two wandering cats so I will check them tonight.
Great! And thanks for the followup.
BTW, a computer does not have to be moved for something to come loose. Connections, especially those that are not secured with a screw, can work loose over time from vibrations from fan and drive motors, heavy foot falls, kicks, trips and knocks from the vacuum cleaner, etc.
And also note that cat hair and dander gets sucked into a computer easily and the oils from cat hair is almost as bad as smoke residue from tobacco products. They stick to the surfaces of the electronics, gluing dust, dirt and hair to the surfaces forming a hard to remove heat trapping blanket. Make sure you inspect the interior of your case regularly (I recommend monthly) and clean when necessary.