Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Zombie problems with mouse pointer and all movement in general

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Raising Golden Retrievers; folk-rock and Irish music (what I do); reading; DIY; websites; writing

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:15 PM

Back again!  Same ol' same ol'.

Dunno if this is hardware or software.

Dell laptop, win 10.

Has had two big misbehaviors.

1) This was previously misleading, but I can now describe it as being as though I keep moving the pointer to the lower left of the screen and clicking maniacally.  Happens to be where the search button is, so that window keeps popping up.  I have then to click outside that box, and back into my Free Cell game, or my business letter, or my website navigation.  It comes and goes.  but sometimes it comes for minutes at 3x a second, and I just have to sit it out.

There's a previous thread on that problem, which I will add in a "reply," as I am rewriting this post 'cause I went looking for the address of the thread!

Eventually the advice was to do a reinstall of Windows, saving my files version.  No fix.
Today, after much preparation, I did a clean install.  Folks, before I could reinstall a single program and get back to functioning, the fibrillating cursor was back with me.

I then tried yanking the dongle (had to use pliers, it's been in there so long) and uninstalling the mouse entirely.  Worked the same with the touchpad.  Tried to uninstall that, but it told me I had to reboot to complete removal, and when it rebooted the touchpad was back.

Hold that thought.

Problem #2.  Also a thread on that.
All visual stuff---the movement of the pointer across the screen, the video (but not the corresponding audio) of any video, the appearance on the page of letters as I type---hang up momentarily, then continue.  

That problem went away for awhile, but reappeared yesterday.

During these problems and advice on the forum, we tried a few things.  Eventually I did a keep-your-documents install of win 10.  No fix.  Today, after much prep-idation, I did a clean install.  Before I could download and install Firefox and Thunderbird, the pointer-and-popup was back with me.

So it has to be the computer, right?

Hardware?  Motherboard software?  The graphics whatsit?  

Any ideas?  Should this go over to the hardware forum?

If this can be fixed online or in the shop, well and good.  A new computer will stop all the aggravation, but when is that in the budget?  So ideas and experience are welcome.

TIA

denno

NOTE:: after a lotta looks, I'm repeating this over to the Hardware Forum.  If I am supposed to close it here, please let me know how.

https://forums.whatt...opic=131862&hl=

The pointer problem.

https://forums.whatt...opic=132047&hl=

Edited by denno, 23 December 2019 - 04:13 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Raising Golden Retrievers; folk-rock and Irish music (what I do); reading; DIY; websites; writing

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:19 PM

The movement hang-up problem.

https://forums.whatt...opic=131862&hl=

The pointer problem.

https://forums.whatt...opic=132047&hl=

Edited by denno, 18 December 2019 - 06:20 PM.