This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Can somebody tell me what causes.....

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Can anyone tell me what is the most common problem for a DVD burn to fail? I recently had some 8mm home movies made into DVD. I had the place that did them make four copies and it was a two disc set. Then I needed to make another five copies. I have the correct blank DVD +R discs (my burner is a DVD +R) When making the copies, some of them fail at the speed measurement, some of them fail after it creates the image when it burns the boundries, and then some of them burn without a problem. There were even occasions where I used the same blank disc that had just failed, but then it made a good copy. When I copied the second disc, I put in the program to make 6 copies. The image created fine, I made four copies and then the fifth one failed. It seems really sporatic - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. The program I am using is Nero.
Hi gtbase

At what speed are you burning?
Try slow the speed to a minimum, and see if this
will correct it.

Ehem. Nero is IMHO no longer the program its used
to be. On the contrary with regards to conflicts, driver issues
and so on.

I use Ashampoo Burning Studio, which serves me well. You could
give it a try. If the problem still exist, you may have to take a look on
your burner.

Ashampoo Burning Studio can be found here: Link

There are other burn programs out there, but those I am not familiar with.

Regards Abydos
The speed has varied. I originally checked the box for the speed to be determined. It failed at the speed check. Then I put in for it to copy at 4x and the burn failed again. The next time I didn't have it determine the speed or check anything and it copied 4 out of the 5 at 12x on it's own; the fifth copy failed. Then when I did the second disc, I just let it do it's own thing again and it copied the first few at 16x. Then I had two failures for write errors. Last night I was able to do one more of disc 2 and it copied at 12x. The next three tries failed - one during the burn, and two gave me a write error, then started doing cd borders and then said burn failed. At that point it was almost midnight and I gave up. The other thing that is frustrating about the program is that after a burn failure it gives you the option to print the error report or not; then it only give you a "next" button. When you click "next" it sends you to a window that only gives three options - "Burn Same Project" - "New Project" - and "Make DVD Cover". If you click on "Burn Same Project" it sends you back to the beginning, but the options to choose a different speed are gone - it just says maximum. When you click on "burn" it starts creating another "image" which takes another 25 minutes before it begins to burn. So each time I have had a burn failure, I already wasted 25 minutes because it has to create another image. If you put in to make multiple copies and one of those copies fails, the whole thing starts over again with another image creation.