Every time I open a Windows folder (My documents, pictures, music, control panel, etc) a folders menu pops up on the left side of my screen that shows all of the folders on my computer. I know that it has something to do with a code that's been altered because it's happened to a friend in the past. However, I don't know what or where that code goes, and any help you could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Hi Packermania
Try open "my computer".
Look in the tools just under the drop-down menus. Click on the option "Folders".
Left pane explorer usually also have a "X" where you can close it.
Did that solve your problem?
Regards Abydos
There's no option in the folders menu that gets rid of the problem. I know I can close out of the window, but it's just annoying that it pops up every time I open something.
Hi Packermania
Just to be sure we are talking the same:
[attachment removed: mapper.gif]
I got danish version of XP, but "mapper" means folders.
Regards Abydos
Are you talking about this showing up on the left of the Desktop or the left side of each folder when you open it? If it's the Desktop, then this sounds like the Common Tasks Pane.
To remove the common tasks pane from your desktop:
Locate and double-click the file you just saved and extract XP_CommonTasks.exe.
Double click XP_CommonTasks.exe to run the utility.
You will need to log off/log on or reboot for the change to take effect. There is no install/uninstall. Simply delete the EXE file when done to remove it.
If it's each folder, then click on View and uncheck Details. Then click on Tools then Folder Options. Click on the View tab then click the Apply to all folders button. Apply and OK as needed to get out.
It has something to do with the explorer bar in those folders that I mentioned. When I go to View>Explorer Bar and uncheck "Folders" the menu goes away. However, when I exit out and reopen, it comes up again. I tried getting rid of it and applying those settings to all folders, but it hasn't worked.