This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Folder Icons

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am having a problem with the icons in my folders. Maybe someone can help me out. My computer runs on XP and one day I cut on the computer and all my folders' icons seemed to reset to tile view. Now, no matter what I do, they always reset to tile view when I go back into the folder. I have tried everything I can think of. I have even tried a system restore and manipulated some keys in the registry but no luck. Does anyone have any idea what this problem might be? Thanks
Try this:
  • Open a folder
  • Click the View menu
  • Select the type of view you want (large, small, details, list, etc.)
  • Click the View menu again
  • Select Arrange Icons
  • Select the type of arrange and if you want Auto Arrange
  • Look at your folder view. This will be the folder view that you will set as your default folder view if you continue. If you are not happy, continue to adjust the methods of viewing and arranging.
  • Click the Tools menu
  • Click Folder Options
  • Click View tab
  • Click Apply to All Folders
Regards,

Ax
When I tried this I got the same problem, the folders changed but now they are stuck in their current view. Could I possibly be missing a registry key or something like that?
On that same tab, in the Advanced settings, make sure that "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked, or try clicking the Restore Defaults button.

Regards,

Ax
I went to it and it was already checked. I had done most of these steps previously so I figured it must be some other issue that is causing the problem. Are there any other solutions I could try?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI