This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Smithfraud

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I downloaded Smitfraudfix.exe and now my AVG is picking it up as a Virus, namely Trojan Horse Constructor.BRV. Is this a "False Positive" or should it be taken more seriously?? ok I am getting the same thing, where is the legitimate source of getting the current ver site I was linked to was www.siri.urz.free.fr 2.320. If this is not the correct place where is the correct one or a safe one?
Hello Jimbo1

Welcome to the Whatthetech Malware Removal Forum Sorry for the delay in responding but with the amount of people posting with infected computers there are not enough hours in the day

Why would you download and run a tool for something you may or may not have, what makes you think your infected with Smitfraud, lets check and see.

Download Trendmicros Hijackthis to your desktop.
Double click it to install
Follow the prompts and by default it will install in C:\Program Files\Trendmicro\Hijackthis\Highjackthis.exe

  • Open HJT Scan and Save a Log File, it will open in Notepad
  • Go to Format and make sure Wordwrap is Unchecked
  • Go to Edit> Select All…..Edit > Copy and Paste the new log into this thread by using the Post Reply and not start a New Thread.
DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
I use smithfraud fix to remove infection's of peoples pc's here in town (Have a computer shop) and always keep up with the current vers. It just that the lastest ver 2.320 when I downloaded it and AVG 8.0 Free Reported a Virus, namely Trojan Horse Constructor.BRV. Is this a "False Positive" or should it be taken more seriously?? or did someone incoded a virus to the program?

or did someone incoded a virus to the program?

This program is written by one of our own malware fighters and no way no how is there a virus in it

or did someone incoded a virus to the program?

This program is written by one of our own malware fighters and no way no how is there a virus in it


Ok I am still seeking an answer 1. Why is AVG 8.0 Free Reporting one or is it just a false Postive and if the program safe to use even tho it's reporting having a virus in it?

I trusted this program in the past but now the warning is making me nervous to use, Their was another post asking the same question as I was, so I was not the only one getting this, another Tech in town reported the same thing to me also.
Thank goodness and thank you very much for clearing up to msg I was getting from avg and wanted to be sure, would have hated to infect a pc of which I was trying to clean up. Glad to see it's just AVG, and not the real thing.
Your very welcome. You will find that as new updates to programs become available that different AV and AS programs will flag them differently, some pick up the components and different files as bad and some don't, then with the new updates it could be just the reverse. All the programs we use in the forums are written by our own people that are dedicated to Malware Removal, they keep a pretty keen eye on adding new files to be detected and so fouth, anytime there is any kind of an issue its looked at in a matter of minutes. Ken
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI