This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Can't Find Server

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

When I try to go online w/ my laptop it tells me that it can't find the server. Or that page can't be displayed. Is there any suggestions I can try to fix this issue. I got this refurbished laptop from a friend. Thanks, Denise
Hi Denise A bit more information please. How are you trying to connect to the internet Via a dsl or dialup modem Through a modem router combo Through a router connected to a router Wired or wireless Cheers Peterm
Good morning, peterm ! And thanks for the quick response. I am looking to use dial up and wireless as their is an internal card in my refurbished laptap.
Hi again! I know you didn't ask for this info but since my work location won't allow me to use my laptop there, I thought I'd just leave w/ my HJT log and my system info. Denise System Info: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 Computer Intel{R} Pentium{R}M Processor 1600MHz 988MHz 512MB of RAM
Hi, LDTate! I am not sure why this was sent to me. So can you tell me what it is you want me to look for? Thanks, Denise

Hi, LDTate!

I am not sure why this was sent to me. So can you tell me what it is you want me to look for?

Thanks,
Denise


Hi Denise

I can understand your confusion.

Its "nothing" LDTate sent you. It was I who asked if your HiJackThis log could be converted to a attachment instead. The reason for this request, is simple. The only place where there should be posted HJT-logs is in the malware removal forum. Generally if people see HJT-logs other places, they might think its ok, and next thing before anyone knows, theres HJT-logs spread all over the forums. Given that HJT is a tool for log-readers (experts), this is not desireable. So I asked LDTate to make it into a attachment.

Not your fault. But thats the explanation :)

Hope you get your problem solved.

Kind regards Abydos
Hi Denise Sorry for the delay. ok you are using dialup and you want to go wireless are you sure your dialup is wireless? or do you have a wireless router ? Cheers Peterm
Hi, Peterm! It's ok, I know you all are busy. Yes, I'm using wireless. i have a desktop computer that I was using a couple of weeks ago. i got this refurbish laptop from a friend. I suppose to have an internal wireless card in it. When I power it on it shows that the WLAN has connected but when I click on IE it gives a message saying it can't find the server. However, the other day while I was using dial up on this laptop, I decided to click on the WLAN button to see if it was still connected and it was. I then preceded to click on the IE tab to see if it would open up and it did. I typed in msn and aol to see if the pages will display.. I don't know what a router is. So, I guess I don't have one. Should I have one? Denise

Hi, Peterm!

It's ok, I know you all are busy.
Yes, I'm using wireless. i have a desktop computer that I was using a couple of weeks ago. i got this refurbish laptop from a friend. I suppose to have an internal wireless card in it. When I power it on it shows that the WLAN has connected but when I click on IE it gives a message saying it can't find the server. However, the other day while I was using dial up on this laptop, I decided to click on the WLAN button to see if it was still connected and it was. I then preceded to click on the IE tab to see if it would open up and it did. I typed in msn and aol to see if the pages will display.. I don't know what a router is. So, I guess I don't have one. Should I have one?

Denise


Hi Denise9012,

I'm going to let peterm handle your networking issues. But I did have some input based on the information you provided. I "think" I understand what your wanting to do and what your able to do right now.

When you on dial-up that is your connection to the internet, that why explorer was able to dispaly the pages while you were connected via the dialup connection. With a Wireless network card (built in, or seperate card) you need to have an AP(Access Point) that is generally a Wireless router. Since you don't have a AP to connect to you won't be able to use the wireless that came with the laptop to connect to the internet.

When it show that the WLAN is connected it might just be picking up a neigbors wireless router, and if it's a secured router it wouldn't allow you to pass thru it to the internet.

I hope that helps some.

Kind Regards
Tonka
Hi, Tonka! It seems you have figured out my problem. I wasn't sure if I needed a router or not. So being that's my problem can someone tell me which one I should get and how to secure it once I get it. Thanks, Denise

Hi, Tonka!

It seems you have figured out my problem. I wasn't sure if I needed a router or not. So being that's my problem can someone tell me which one I should get and how to secure it once I get it.

Thanks,
Denise


Hello again Denise,

I use the Linksys WRT54G, you can get a look at it from the link below.
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c…d=4329833028B13

I would check the prices at local electronics stores, and maybe egghead or similar sites.

As far as secureing it, The CD has all the documentation on how to set it up. After you do get it if you have any problems of course vist back here at WTT and I'm sure someone will lend a hand.

Best regards.
Tonka
Hi, Tonka001! I thank you for your help. This info is so helpful. I am about to look at the info you forwarded me right now. Bless you, Denise

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI