Hello, I was refered to this forum by one of the guys over in the HijackThis Log's forum. After successfully cleaning my system he said I might want to check in with you guys because there are some registry entries that may point to a hardware conflict… You can see the complete thread here if you would like to:
I did notice that right before my computer went haywire (which prompted the HJT dialog) my CD drive all but disapeared. When the computer boots up the light comes on, but it isn't listed in My Computer and won't play anything… could these suspicious registry entries be the culprits?
Hi,
After that amount of infection, almost anything is possible, so congratulations on getting your machine cleaned and even bigger congratulations that its still working!
I think the first step is to have a look in Device Manager
1 Start
2 Right click My Computer
3 Click Properties
4 Click Hard Ware
5 Click Device Manager
6 (Maximise your screen)
7 Now examine each entry, you are looking for any Yellow or Red markers,(exclamation marks or crosses etc) expand as necessary by clicking on the + sign (at the left) highlight a device, click on properties and examine the information carefully, click on the tabs (across the top) and check all elements for obvious signs of trouble. If you find a tab called "Resources" see if it reports any conflicts. You will need to do this with each device so its best to keep a log of what you are doing and the result/action so that you can always backtrack.
Any problems found and it's a question of updating drivers, and if this does not prove productive then uninstall the device, close down the machine, wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen and restart it, Windows will then attempt to install the drivers required. This latter procedure is nearly always required if you have an IRQ conflict with devices trying to share a particular IRQ…and in that case Windows will attempt to allocate an unused IRQ on restarting your machine.
Post back here with how you go and let us know your findings and how your machine is now performing.
I saw evidence in your logs, that as well as UTorrent you had also installed Limewire at some time………. If you have not already uninstalled Limewire then I strongly recommend you do so now (Peer to Peer file sharing is notorious for spreading "undesirable elements" in files that are shared.
Regards
paws
Well after looking in the device manager the CD drive is what had the yellow triangle exclamation mark next to it. Just as I suspected it would. I did the update driver thing and it said a better driver couldn't be found. I un-installed it and restarted the computer like you suggested and it still has the yellow triangle next to it. I clicked on it and selected properties and this is the info it gave me:
—————————————————————————————–
TSST corp CDRWDVD TS-H492C
Device Type: DVD/CD-ROM drives
Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Location: Location 0 (0)
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its
configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.
(Code 19)
Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
——————————————————————————————
I clicked the troubleshooter and it was of no help as usual. Not sure what to check or do next?
Thanks for tyhe reply by the way and sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I was out of town for a couple days
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI