This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Can't see CD or DVD ROM drives (anywhere)

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I last used one of the drives about a month ago to upload music and it worked just fine. I just tried to access one and found that yhey are not visible in My Computer or Device Manager and BIOS isn't finding the hardware either. I haven't made any hardware, software or general settings changes in the interim between working and not working The LEDs light up for a period when I insert a CD however, so it doesn't seem to be a power issue. After this I'm a bit clueless so help would be appreciated - sorry if this has come up before - I could only find answers that dealt with specific issues different to mine. I have windows XP, my PC is about 4 years old now - bespoke built by pcspecialist, so I'm not sure I could give a make of any of it, but has generally given me no trouble whatsoever - especially the CD/DVD ROM drives. I read in one forum that I might need to check the IDE cables??? I am guessing that they are the long flat wires that connect devices to the motherboard? It seems strange though that both have gone at once - could it be a virus? Thanks, Paul
Hi jephree, Thanks for responding - sorry it's taken me a while - I've not been at my flat to follow up on your question. I have run CPU-ID - thanks - and here is the motherboard ID: Manufacturer - ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Model - P4S800D Does that help you to provide any further advice? Thanks, Paul
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately at the moment the ASUS web site is not functioning very well.

I can get to main pages but downloads are currently not accessible. I will keep trying.

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&…amp;modelmenu=2

What I was after was your manual.

Anyway you indicated the BIOS did not "see" the drive so that is why I was starting from the motherboard.

Can you still confirm that the BIOS does not "see" the drive?

And if so where exactly are you looking for this info?

Have you checked the BIOS Setup?

Have you watched the BIOS POST screen?


…
Just to add: I now have your manual. Besides my above questions I have a few more? Are you familiar with working inside computers? Are you aware of taking precautions in regards to static discharges? In regards to post #1 if both optical drives are on the same cable or channel then a loose connection of that cable would drop both drives. If indeed both drives are missing in the BIOS re-seating this cable will be the first thing to try.
Hi jephree, I think I've solved it. opened up my PC and used a spare ide connector to slot into one of the drives and it works now (only one spare so could only do for one drive). Presumably, you'd agree that a new IDE cable for both drives will fix permanently??? Thanks, Paul
Sounds like a bad cable. Does not your cable have two ports? Master/slave? Most IDE cables have two ports so two drives can run off the same channel. Were both drives on a single ribbon originally?
Hi, The original cable did have two ports, yes. I used the spare port from my hard drive cable to reattach the CD ROM drive, which can now be seen in BIOS, so I am presuming a bad cable. You mentioned static discharges. I don't know what these are. Could it have affected my cable? And if so, should I do anything? I have a multiplug socket with surge protector? Should that avoid this issue? Thanks, Paul
ESD most likely did not affect your cable. Circuit boards themselves are the most vulnerable to ESD.

It is just important to have your body grounded while handling internal components. Never work on a carpeted floor.

There are "grounding straps" you can get if you do a lot of internal work. I just make sure some part of my arm is always in contact with the metal case frame.

In your case that cable could have just failed or else test the connection at the motherboard. If a new cable does not solve the problem then the next suspect would be the IDE port on the motherboard.

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Computer-Sy…s-Guide-to-ESD/

What is ESD?

excerpt

Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) is defined as the transfer of charge between bodies at different electrical potentials. These different potentials are often classified as static electricity. Clearly defined, static electricity is an electrical charge caused by an imbalance of electrons on the surface of a material. The imbalance produces a measurable electric field. By measureable, I'm talking about potentials ranging up into the tens of thousands of volts.

ESD is what happens when you drag your feet on the carpet and "zap" yourself on a doorknob. It's also the lightning you see during a thunderstorm.

ESD can change the characteristics of an electrical or electronic component, degrading it, causing malfunction and, ultimately, failure.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI