This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Vista Upgrade question ...

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have had a thought :wacko: I have recently managed to re-install Vista Home Basic in English (on a Spanish version computer with Home Basic) and re-activate it with MS no problems. My question is that a friend of mine has bought the same computer - Acer Aspire M1100 AMD Athlon 64x2, 2 gb Ram - I notice that Microsoft offer an upgrade to Vista Home PREMIUM at around $150. Would it be possible to buy an English version and install the upgrade over the top of the BASIC version thus changing the computer O/S to English ? This obvioulsy would save all the hassle as I had in formatting/re-installing etc. Thanks in advance. Luckydog1 (Dave) :thumbup:
When installing your current Vista Home Basic, you should have an option to select Language, during the automated questions which appear during the installation wizard process of installing. You would have the same option if using Home Premium. So unless there is a reason why you will benefit from Premium, I think I'd consider running a Repair Install with the current OS and attempt to Select - English language during the installation. I've heard various annoying problems cropping up with Windows OS purchased in the country of Spain. There may be some specifics that are different or unique to licensing in Spain. But I sure don't know. If you try the above, please keep us posted with your progress. Best Regards

When installing your current Vista Home Basic, you should have an option to select Language, during the automated questions which appear during the installation wizard process of installing.

You would have the same option if using Home Premium.
So unless there is a reason why you will benefit from Premium, I think I'd consider running a Repair Install with the current OS and attempt to Select - English language during the installation.

I've heard various annoying problems cropping up with Windows OS purchased in the country of Spain.
There may be some specifics that are different or unique to licensing in Spain. But I sure don't know.

If you try the above, please keep us posted with your progress.

Best Regards

Thanks for your reply Doug, I do not think the overall O/S can be changed to English as the selection you mention refers to the various Spanish languages of the world. I have, since posting this foud out from Microsoft* site that my 'idea' will not work sadly. Thanks for your suggestion and looks like I will have to do the same as I did on mine and my friends computer will have to be Home Basic or purchase a new disk from MS.

* This is the info at Microsoft that might be helpful for other members:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282089
Your idea will work….. but you'd have to do a fresh/formated installation, … or, create a Parallel OS on a separate Partition or Hard Drive. Still no need to buy a new license, unless you want some of the features from Premium. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI