This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

remove windows Vista.

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:wavey: Hi All.

I would like to know is it possiable to put XP pro over the top of Vista Home Basic

I've been given a laptop with Vista Home Basic
1.73gh Celeron M530
120gh HD
1g Ram
Hewlet-Packard Presario C700.


In a previous forum I was told that this notebook is too slow for Vista, I don't have the CD OS .I would rather have XP on here,

I would appreciate your comments.
:wavey: Hi All.

I would like to know is it possiable to put XP pro over the top of Vista Home Basic

I've been given a laptop with Vista Home Basic
1.73gh Celeron M530
120gh HD
1g Ram
Hewlet-Packard Presario C700.


In a previous forum I was told that this notebook is too slow for Vista, I don't have the CD OS .I would rather have XP on here, this machine is about 12 months old.

I would appreciate your comments.
G/day ed-e-dee,

Results for "presario c700"

More than 300 products contain the term "presario c700".
Please search for your product again using the text box to the right, following the suggestions below.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_la…=+Presario+C700

Most recent laptops/notebooks would have a recovery partition in lieu of an OS DVD or CD.

You could load XP if:

1. You have an XP CD with an unique Product Key not in use on any other computer.

2. Your HP/Compaq model has XP drivers.

3. You will most likely need to wipe the drive completely in order to allow Windows to "downgrade itself". Using something like KillDisk for example.

Anyway before we go there what do you think?
Hello jephree. This is the laptop I borrowed when we were looking in Browser,I & EM< post15. found on the box it is a C710TU, I don't have XP CD , everything has been preinstalled and my friend does not have anything either I'm goin to buy it for a few bucks off him to keep as a spare, my thoughts are as you had pointed out this LP is too slow for Vista so I thought I'd get XP put on if it's not too much trouble :friends: and throw in more Ram that should help don't you think.
Hi ed-e-dee

Although the C710TU has a few XP drivers they are very limited.

Compaq Presario C710TU Notebook PC

If you have an HP Pavilion or Compaq Presario consumer notebook PC that shipped with Windows Vista, you should not attempt to downgrade to Windows XP. Changing the operating system (OS) will cause severe operational problems. Many of the components, such as sound, video, graphics, network connectivity, drives, or other devices and peripherals, may have limited functionality, or may not work at all. You should do some research on the support policies of hardware and software manufacturers, and review the problems experienced by other users, before you consider changing the operating system.


Issues you will experience if you downgrade from Vista to XP

I concur with the above excerpt: you should not.

As to RAM yes getting at least 1GB would help. Here is an install guide although I cannot locate the max you can upgrade to but try running this scan on the laptop:

Crucial System Scanner tool


adding memory modules


Here is a review of that model:

Hewlett-Packard Compaq Presario C710TU

excerpt

Inexpensive and fully-featured, HP's Compaq Presario C710TU is suitable for basic tasks such as Web surfing and office document creation. It's based on an Intel Celeron M 530 CPU, has integrated Intel 965 Express graphics and runs on 512MB of RAM.

These specifications are weak, so some of you might be surprised to find out that it runs Windows Vista Basic, and this choice of operating system is also surprising considering the notebook's price – $699 (after $150 cash back, which can be redeemed from HP). If you're thinking that Windows will struggle to run capably on such a configuration, then you're right, for the most part. As long as you use good old 'msconfig' to rid the system of its unnecessary start-up programs, the notebook will run fairly well, but sometimes menus and dialogue boxes will take a while to show up and disappear, while program windows will close with a whimper. Of course, multitasking is out of the question on this model.

Because the Celeron is a single-core CPU and the system only has 502MB of RAM available for use (10MB is gobbled up by the integrated graphics), running multiple programs at once will result in a noticeable slow down in performance, to the point of frustration.

Upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as it's released. From what I've seen using the beta, it's much better than Vista, even though it's Vista and not XP based. There are rumors of MS offering a free upgrade to W7 from Vista but I can't see MS doing that and forgoing the income V to W7 upgrades will generate. Would be nice though and might encourage people to buy a new computer with Vista on it now.
Hi all. I have putin 2Gb of ram in the laptop and now it is much better. I think I'll stay with Vista and see what happends. Thank you for your help. this can be closed now Ed.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI