This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Update Drivers

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So I've been running lots of system scans and the like, trying to get this poor computer running right again, and all of them say that I have a lot of drivers that are out of date. I checked my hardware list, and most of the drivers haven't been updated ever. But I don't know how to find out if there are any updates. I tried searching the manufacturer pages, like Intel and Toshiba, but I can't find anything that I understand, and I don't want to screw anything up. What should I do?
Hi, A fairly easy way is to use the Device Manager
Right click My computer>properties>hardware>Device Manager
Look for any entries that have a yellow exclamation mark or Red cross against them.

Note please only fix one thing at a time and do a reboot when you have updated your driver and used the machine for a while without problems before moving on to the next one.


To update your driver:
Select a device that is giving you cause for concern and that has a yellow or red flag (you may need to click on the +sign to expand the entry)
Right click it and select properties, click on driver, click on update and follow on screen directions, allow your machine to access the internet and to select an appropriate updated driver.
Restart your machine and see how you go.

It's always a good idea to consider updating your drivers if they are definitely causing a problem or instability or denying you a degree of functionality that you deem essential, but it can also of cause create problems (This is why the Roll back drivers facility in Device Manager is so important.)

There are other ways that we can suggest that involve establishing the exact hardware specification for your machine and then visiting in turn each of the Manufacturer's websites and finding and then downloading the latest drivers……..however it's probably best to start with the method I have detailed above ….but please post back if you have any extra questions
Regards
paws

Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI