This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Vista Drivers and Updates assistance needed

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

In reference to the following topic:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…mp;#entry699151


I need some assistance in updating the drivers as well as ensuring all windows updates are installed properly. I allow them to install and then it wont boot up once I do. If I get it to boot up, it just says there more updates. As someone who is not great with computers, I figured it was some kind of malware that infected the updates.

Thanks in advance for any help
Hi, sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with your Dell computer. I have taken a quick look at some of your logs that you submitted in the virus and Spyware removal forums. Your logs indicate that you have installed at some time P2P File sharing programs……..There are legitimate uses for P2P File sharing, but a lot that I come across are used for the downloading of files,(especially music, videos, games etc) that breach both National and International rules on copyright. There is currently a major crackdown on folks who use File Sharing to break copyright rules and heavy penalties are being imposed……often it's the young folks who are tempted to do this, their parents often being unaware, but it might be as well to check that your machine is squeaky clean in this respect, just to be on the safe side. File sharing is a well known vector for the distribution of malicious code and large numbers of machines are infected by this route, the effects can be devastating and sometimes a format and reinstall of the operating system is necessary……For these reasons I recommend that you uninstall all P2P file sharing or similar applications, Limewire,etc . Any files downloaded using P2P are best deleted and the recycle Bin emptied unless the provenance of those files is 100% If you used the Dell restore facility that formats the hard drive and then reinstalls Windows and puts the computer back to the state it was in when it left the factory,then there should be no need to install any more drivers….( not for the meoment anyway) However updating Windows via Windows updates is often a lengthy business, especially if your "restore to factory" was based on a service pack level current 5 or so years ago….you will need to run Windows update every day for several days with a restart in between as recommended by the onscreen direction from Windows Update. You should be prepared to download and install all Windows critical or important updates and there will be well in excess of 100 of them and probably ( depending on level of service pack installed many more. However you machine should not experience problems in starting ( booting up) after each set of updates are installed, if this is happening then then please post back with the exact model number of your Dell and we will advise the next step Regards paws
Do not see any of those problems mentioned on this computer anywhere. If they once were, they are long gone and were never used anyway.

If they once were, they are long gone and were never used anyway.

That's good to hear.
:thumbup:
There's a much greater chance of keeping clear of infection now they are gone.
Regards
paws
Turn off Windows Automatic Update for now.

After you do the restore to factory state, what does Device Manager look like? I would expect it would not have any yellow marks and all devices should be working fine, so do not update any device drivers.

I couldn't tell what service pack you have, so I would recommend you download and save the offline installer for SP1 and SP2 (need to install SP1 before you can install SP2).

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330) - 434.5MB
Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone (KB948465) - 348.3MB

It might be a good idea to copy them to a CD or put them both on a DVD in case you need to do this again. Once you have them, just double click on the .exe and it will install. I prefer this to installing them via Windows Update.

Once you have both of them installed, go to Windows Update and see what updates it says you need. Don't enable Windows Automatic Update yet. DO NOT download or install any device driver updates yet.

This would be an excellent place to do a full image backup. If you don't have an external hard drive, I would strongly urge you to get one. Some come with backup software but I've not been impressed with the few I've seen. You would be much better off with Acronis True Image ($$$) or the free Macrium Reflect.

Once that is done, if the computer is still running okay, then you can try updating device drivers if you feel it's necessary. Remember the old adage, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If everything is still working okay, then you can try the printer again. What is the make and model number of the printer? Have you tried downloading the latest driver for it from the manufacturers web site and using that instead of the CD that came with it?

Once all is working correctly, do another full image backup. Now set Automatic Update to Notify but not download or install.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI