This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help choosing protection software

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am sorry if this is the wrong place I didn't seem to find exactly where my question fit so hopefully here is correct… I would just like some opinions/suggestions for virus software. My subscription for Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 expires today. I was unsure whether I should stick with it or go a different route. I want something effective yet doesn't bog down my system. I will be installing on 3 separate PCs. I need something that would need little user input as the users on two PCs are not at all computer savvy. Cost is not necessarily a factor so I don't mind purchasing a product. I will entertain free options as well. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Hi David714,
Kaspersky hadsa good reputation and so have some of the free versions e.g. MSE(Microsoft's Security Essentials), Avast, AVG etc.
If you do decide to make a change then remember its important to fully uninstall your "old" anti virus and then reboot your computer before installing the new one…. if any remnants of the old are left behind then there will likely be conflicts and troubles when you install the new one….

No antivirus will offer 100% protection, so its often down to the user….. they can make or break any system…. irrespective of protections like a good anti virus application…. if as you say some of the users are not computer savvy then it would be wise to put in place some training for them….

As a further piece of insurance and in addition to your normal data back ups it is recommended to take a disc image of each of your 3 computers when they are all running fast and sweet, free from viruses or undesirable code, junk files deleted, defragged and with all protections including Windows updates your anti virus/spyware and firewall, updated and all in good order. Keep an extra copy of the disc images safe offsite on removable media (USB external hard drives are good for this) and make sure you have a bootable CD/DVD that will allow you access to your disc images… In the event of serious troubles arising that cannot be solved in a timely or cost effective way by the normal means, a good disc image will have your system up and running again in less time than it takes to walk the dog!.

Win 7 has native support for a full disc image, but if you prefer paid for solutions then Symantec, Paragon, Acronis etc all have excellent products and free versions of disc imaging software are available from:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml

It recommended that you verify your disc images are reproducible, accurate, comprehensive and that they work….(Its not the time to find that your disc image is defective when your computer's operating system has become unusable or your hard drive has failed!)
Post back if you need any amplification or further information.
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI