This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Using an OEM Setup Disk

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok, short version: how can I use an OEM setup disk on a different computer? Longer version: I have a valid install code, and just need to use the 98SE setup files from a Gateway setup disk. I could copy the /win98 directory locally to the new drive and install from there, but what file do I need to remove/modify so that I don't get "This can only be used on a Gateway computer" warning? Thanks Randall

Ok, short version: how can I use an OEM setup disk on a different computer?

"This can only be used on a Gateway computer" warning?

Short answer: Sorry Randall. You cannot use an OEM setup disk on another computer - that is considered stealing, and is illegal.

The big computer companies cut costs by purchasing volume Windows license agreements from Microsoft for their computers. Gateway (as do Dell, HP/Compaq, it al) agreed to provide one license to each Gateway computer, and Microsoft agrees to sell one "original equipment manufacture" (OEM) license for each PC, at a reduced volume price. These OEM licenses are not transferable. :(

So, your OEM copy of Windows is licensed to be used on that original Gateway computer only.

what file do I need to remove/modify so that I don't get "This can only be used on a Gateway computer" warning?

Since the US, UK, EU, and UN courts all support the software industry's (not just Microsoft's) position on software licenses, I can not help you break the law - nor does this site condone the use of illegal software, regardless how innocent or good-hearted the poster is. Sorry again.

You will need to buy a new Windows license. If this computer is more than a year or two old, I would recommend XP, and not Vista. Unlike XP, Vista is designed to support today's current, and tomorrow's more advanced and secure technology, and not yesterday's legacy HW and SW. In the long run, that's a good thing.
Thanks for the reply Bill, I think I did not make myself clear in my post. What I want to do is use the install files on the Gateway 98SE OEM disk, NOT the license. I HAVE a valid, legal license to install it on this computer. I just do not have the standard 98 install media. I fully understand what you were getting at and I teach the same lesson myself. Thanks again. Randall
There's still some confusion here. You say, "use the install files on the Gateway 98SE OEM disk, NOT the license". Well, the license allows you to use the files on one computer only - the original Gateway computer the disk came with.

If you explain exactly what you are trying to do, then maybe I can help you out. But what this still sounds like to me is you want to copy files from the Gateway OEM disk to some other computer - that is, not the computer the disk came with. If that's so, that's illegal.
Bill, I think we are getting into splitting ethical hairs here. You said,… "Well, the license allows you to use the files on one computer only - the original Gateway computer the disk came with." By your definition, if I were to ever lose or break an original install CD, I would not be able to ever use that license again since I no longer have access to the original media. I believe it is the license code that grants the user the ability to use the operating system, NOT the actual media. With a valid (legal) license code, it should not matter WHERE i get the install files from, as long as I am using a legitimate license. The situation is thus: A client brought an older computer to me that has a legal install of Windows 98SE, but no longer has the media. The system is in a boot loop, always coming up to the boot options (Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Normal etc…). He purchased a bigger hard drive and my intent is to put a clean install of 98 on the new drive with his existing license, transfer his data from the old drive to the new, then wipe the old drive clean and leave it for him to use as additional storage. To me it is straight forward and legit, if I had ANY copy of a Win 98SE install disk, it is fair game to use as long as I am respecting the license. Again, all I need is access to the install files. But if you believe this is illegal or unethical, then I will respect your opinion and seek solutions elsewhere. Thanks Randall (If any of this message appears inflammatory or negative, pls forgive me as that is not the intent.)

I believe it is the license code that grants the user the ability to use the operating system, NOT the actual media. With a valid (legal) license code, it should not matter WHERE i get the install files from, as long as I am using a legitimate license.

I don't have a problem with that.

The situation is thus: A client brought an older computer to me that has a legal install of Windows 98SE, but no longer has the media.

Here's where I have a problem. The big question is, have you seen, with your own eyes, the legal license? If not, you need to wash your hands of this, now! Especially if you do repairs for income.

Does he have the CD Key code? If not, then there's another problem.

The system is in a boot loop, always coming up to the boot options (Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Normal etc…). He purchased a bigger hard drive and my intent is to put a clean install of 98 on the new drive with his existing license, transfer his data from the old drive to the new, then wipe the old drive clean and leave it for him to use as additional storage. To me it is straight forward and legit, if I had ANY copy of a Win 98SE install disk, it is fair game to use as long as I am respecting the license.

Okay. I agree your intent is straight forward and legit - having done some PC repair for individuals and at corporate levels, I understand your dilemma. But having done PC repairs for some time, it is obvious this machine has seen better days.

I think we are getting into splitting ethical hairs here.

Not at all. While I believe you are a sincere and honest person, I don't know that. Nor can I assume that all future readers will be honest and sincere either. You are asking how to hack a piece of software. There's no splitting ethical hairs here - It would be unethical for me to advise you how to, and illegal for you to do it - unless, of course, you have verified he has a legitimate Windows license for that machine - if not certain, ask yourself if you are willing to risk your freedom on the assumption he does.

You might contact Gateway and see what they say.

However, for this PC to come with an OEM Win98 disk, it has to be an old system and the owner should be happy it lasted this long. My advice is for him to buy an XP license and install that on the new drive, and put the old drive in as a slave, and quickly copy his personal data over, before the drive's bearings seize. Or, if budget is a concern, put Linux on it for free. Or, you can use the software that came with the new disk, and copy the image of the old on to the new, then wipe the old drive. Of course, you copy the problem over with it, but then we may be able to help resolve that, instead of dealing with legalities and ethics.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI