This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Almost Complete Failure

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I'm running Windows98 - sort of. A lot of little problems are occuring on my computer. It won't acknowledge any devices - 'a' drive, printer, scanner, etc. It won't allow me to delete files, downloaded programs, or shortcuts on the desktop, etc. I was told that it is probably too messed up to fix, and I should reformat and reinstall my OS. I moved all my files off, and would be happy to blow the rest away. I don't have the original disks anymore, so I went to www.BootDisk.com and downloaded Windows 98 SE OEM (I don't know what OEM means, but the only other choice was W98 SE Custom, no ramdrive) Then, since my computer won't admit it has an 'a' drive, I burned the files onto a cd. But I can't boot from the cd, right? Do I have to have the OS on a floppy? I can get a friend to move the files from the cd to the floppy, if that would help. I just don't know what to do next. Mandy
OK: listen up and I will help :D Win 98 needs to be installed from cd. To do that u need the win 98 boot disk with the drivers. This means that the first step is to get your computer to recognize the a: drive. Do this: 1 restart your comupter w/98 boot disk in 2. Tell me what happens. NOTE: dont format c: it until we get some things worked out