This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Switching from VISTA back to XP

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi All, I am seriously considering switching back to Win XP. I have a Toshiba laptop, bought with Vista home basic installed. Don't get me wrong, I like Vista. It's just that it is not widely supported. For work & school, I have to access our intranet and it is primarily filled with PDF content. My laptop is a Vista machine and does not work with Adobe Reader or SVG Viewer. I tried to put Reader into XP compatible mode, but no bueno. So…… please remind me, what should I do to prepare for switching back to XP? Thanks, Paul
Hello SashimiOnly,

I googled for you and include this link with good reading re your desire to switch from Vista back to XP.

Another thought in reply to your post, try Foxit PDF reader to see if it performs any better for you.

This may help until another member comes by to help if the link is not of assistance to you.

kind regards,
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: AWESOME……. Thanks Tallin…. The Foxit PDF reader works WONDERFUL……. Yeah…. I don't need to switch back to XP…. I cannot thank you enough…….. I'll let all my friends know, too…… I will keep that other link for reference….. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
WOW, SashimiOnly,

:rofl: :rofl:

:thumbup:
That is great, thanks for the feed back.

Now would you do one more thing for me? Uninstall Adobe PDF Reader from Add and Remove. Adobe is a resource hogger and if you are short on C:\Drive space and do not now need Adobe Reader or any of their software, it is better to uninstall it all.

If you need further help in doing as suggested, please do not hesitate to post back for more help. We are here for that very reason.

kind regards, :)
Tallin….. It's your world, I just happen to be in it……. hahahaha….. Ck this out….. I have 2 Vista machines and I was able to remove Reader from just one machine. On the other one, when I try to uninstall reader, it says that I do not have permission, eventhough I'm logged in as the administrator. What gives????? Oh please do shed some light on this, oh mighty tallin…….
Hi SashimiOnly,

Sorry for the delay, I went to get the mail!

Please give me more detail, > OS > PC > or Laptop? what is showing in Add and Remove when you try to remove Adobe?

What if anything else happens when you try to uninstall Adobe in said machine. Are you positive you are logged on as the Administrator?

Try this link and please get back to me with the result.

It is a pleasure to assist you.

kind regards,
Hi tallin…. got your lotto check in the mail????? :) Yes, I'm logged-in as admin because this is the only user account on this computer. This is the image of what happens when I try to uninstall. Cheers….. Paul

Attachments:

Here's another… Forgot to mention…. Win Vista HomeBasic, Laptop You know tallin, I have tried to go into safemode to try and remove this, but that doesn't work either because the message I get is that windows did not load the installer.

Attachments:

Hi Paul,

I suggest you backup your registry by downloading and installing Erunt and option the software to backup each time you start up your computer which is very easy to do. If you need help please post back with questions.

Please then go to My computer, C:\Drive > program files > Adobe and tell me what you find in that folder.

Are you running Adobe Reader 8.1?

If you have not been successful in following the previous link I gave you to manually uninstall the version of Adobe that is installed, please let me know and we can proceed once I know the answers to the above questions………………thanks

kind regards,
Hi Paul,

Try Re-Booting into SAFE Mode
navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\plug_ins\
Find the file named updater.api and Rename it to updater.old

and then try Control Panel - Add/Remove to complete the Uninstall operation.
(this, of course, depends on whether or not Adobe is still present in Add/Remove)
_______________

Next, while still in SAFE Mode, Navigate again to C:\Program Files\Adobe
Delete the Entire Folder that is named Adobe
________

Next Run Regedit….

Start - Run - (type)regedit - Enter

Back up your registry by using the Export function, for safety sake, or using Erunt.

Next navigate to HKEY_Current_User\Software\Adobe
Delete the Entire Folder that is named Adobe

Next navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Adobe
Delete the Entire Folder that is named Adobe
_______________

Reboot your machine.

You should be now free of all Adobe Reader files and folders.

Post back and let us know how you are progressing.

kind regards,
Hi tallin….. I did what you described in safe-mode. That works. Thanks alot, I'm now free of Adobe Reader and have opened up more space. THANKS AGAIN…… Paul
Hi Paul, Great work, well done. thanks you for your extra thanks via the PM, but we are encouraged to keep to the open forum so all can benefit from the posts. I did appreciate it however. kind regards, ;)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI