Hardware
Frozen Start Button
2 min read
Sublime
Topic Starter
Not sure if this is in the right Forum, but every now and again, whilst using Java applications, my start button locks up. I mean, it makes that irritating 'ding' sound when i press it, and it constantly has the 'pushed down' effect on it. This is very annoying, not to mention making even the simplest of things 10 times harder. Anyone got an idea why this is?
Digerati
Perhaps some information about your computer may help. Laptop? PC? Brand and Model number. Note that power buttons are pretty low tech devices - they can break. If it feels like it is pressed in all the time, then that would be a broken switch, or the part of the case where the switch mounts.
tallin
Perhaps some information about your computer may help. Laptop? PC? Brand and Model number. Note that power buttons are pretty low tech devices - they can break. If it feels like it is pressed in all the time, then that would be a broken switch, or the part of the case where the switch mounts.
Hi Digerati,
I think the OP is referring to the Start button not the power button! I don't have the answer for the problem, but I am sure you would.
kind regards,
Digerati
Hmmm, after re-reading, you may be right - when he said it looked like the was still pressed, I was thinking mechanical.I think the OP is referring to the Start button not the power button! I
Well, I don't know the answer, but I would want to start with a clean PC. Have you done a complete malware scan? One of the firsts thing I do when troubleshooting a PC is make sure I have a clean platform to work from. That's clean of heat trapping dust and dirt, as well as malware. Here's a link to my canned text on Cleaning Out Malware. Use it if you don't already have a complete security suite and disk cleaning utilities to rid your system of malware and clutter. You can also use it as a guide to build your own security suite, and to help you develop or enhance a "Practicing Safe Computing" self-discipline.
How much free disk space do you have after running CCleaner?
SashimiOnly
Hello all…
A similar thing happened on my friend's laptop. She used to dl alot of files from various P2P sites. Needless to say there was SOME malware & trojans found after cleanup. Her Java somehow became corrupt.
What we did:
Ran Norton 360. Got rid of all the nasties.
Uninstalled Java.
Rebooted
Re-installed Java.
Advised her to not go to P2P sites. If she does and this problem comes back, it's gonna cost her dinner….
Hope that helps.
Paul
Digerati
And maybe her (or her family's) identity, credit record, banked money, and even personal safety. You gave her good advice.Advised her to not go to P2P sites. If she does and this problem comes back, it's gonna cost her dinner….
tallin
Very good advice SashimiOnly,
Some folk find it hard to help themselves, but if it happens again as Digerata said, your friend will loose much more than they gain. By the way, we do not help on WTT with folk that persist in using P2P sites except to remove them.
kind regards,
Some folk find it hard to help themselves, but if it happens again as Digerata said, your friend will loose much more than they gain. By the way, we do not help on WTT with folk that persist in using P2P sites except to remove them.
kind regards,
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI