I'm running Windows XP SP2 with Mozilla 2.0. Just recently (may actually have coincided with upgrading to Mozilla 2.0) every time I shut my machine down or log off the End Program box pops up for javaw.exe and I either manually terminate it or let it time out and terminate. It doesn't really affect anything, but it is annoying so if anyone knows a quick fix that'd be great.
After a tiny look around i found that:
1) javaw.exe is for Bittorrent Azureus (how it downloads and uploads)
2) It's "part" of Azureus and kills system performance
Basically, it all points to the Torrent Client. I'd suggest if you do have a Torrent Client, that you un-install it. Re-boot.
Then try shutting down and see if the problem still exists.
If it does, post back.
Thanks for the responses. As far as I know I have no P2P clients installed - how could I double check ? (I mean, are these things like malware or trojans in that they can install themselves without my knowing ?). Basically, if this program isn't needed for Java to work on enabled websites I visit, I'll just get rid of it ?
Javaw.exe is a legitimate file installed by Sun Microsystems as the main executable in their JAVA Runtime Environment, which is an important function to assist the end-user (you) when interacting with some Websites you may browse to on the internet.
It has also been associated with P2P utilities, when such P2P utilities are installed by the end-user.
While P2P utilities have acquired a "bad reputation" due to potential for downloading copywrite media in possible violation of the original copywrite owners rights, there is nothing "wrong" with most P2P utilities in general. It is up to the end-user to assure that no additional spyware/ad-ware is installed along with the P2P utility if/when the end-user decides to use a P2P, and that they respect copywrite laws.
I originally replied with my question about P2P, since in some cases, if the end-user is downloading media via P2P at the time of shutdown, windows may hang with an error that a "file is still in use". No problem. Just finish the download, or terminate the download.
As to your specific problem………
JAVA Runtime Environment files should be updated to the most recent version. Various files used by and with JAVA Runtime Environment can become corrupted (just like any browser or system files can become corrupted.) (older versions of JRE have known vulnerabilities and should be replaced) Again, no big problem. Just uninstall - reinstall your JAVA Runtime Environment.
What you should do:
First:
Using Control Panel - Add/Remove, uninstall "all versions" of Java Runtime Environment presently residing on your machine.
Next:
Go here to download the latest Version of JAVA Runtime Environment:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
Download this item: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9
The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications.
You will find it about 1/2 way down the list on that page.
Select the "Windows Offline Installation"
"agree" to the "License Agreement"
Download/Save the file to an easy to find location like your Desktop.
Log-off the Internet
Close any browsers and other Windows applications
Click on your downloaded JRE-1_5_0_09-Windows-xxxx-P.exe file (where xxx is part of the name of the version you downloaded)
Select "affirmative" responses in the Install wizard for JRE installation and allow Windows Installer to Run and have access to the Internet.
You've now "updated" your JAVA Runtime Environment, and the problem you have been experiencing at "shutdown" should be resolved.
Thanks for the excellent help on this. I reloaded Java as you described, but was still getting the 'Javaw.exe not responding' error at log off, (not to worry though as I didn't have the latest version anyway so this needed doing !).
Anyway, your promptings got me thinking so I searched for all instances of javaw.exe on my machine, and discovered that there is another version being used by an IBM application called 'MyHelp' which was set to launch at Startup. Once I disabled this, (which was quite a struggle, the startup routine was very well hidden), the problem has gone away, (and freed up 64k of memory which was what the app. was using as a resident service).
So thanks again for your help.
Regards
Just for info, Java is now at Update 10. The update 9 is still showing on the official java site as it is awaiting a site update from what I hear, but the latest version of java can be downloaded from Majorgeeks
If you wish to update to the latest vers :
Download the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 10.
Go to start menu ->> select Run ->> then type in appwiz.cpl and press enter/return key
Check for any items with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name. and remove them all
Once all entries have gone then install the new updated Java
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI