This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Introduction with a general question

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hello, I am a new member to your site. I am a Grandmother who has extended the use of my computer to pc games I play with my 4 year old Grandson! I seldom post anything anywhere so this feels a bit frightful. lol I am grateful for all of you are that offer assistance being generous with your time and expertise! Thank you very much. Before I post my technical problem, I was trying to be responsible and check this site's credentials, or quality of assistance. I truly don't mean to insult you by asking for free help and then challenging you! Instead I am wondering how do I know if you are legitimate and effective? I did see the links at the bottom of the page and feel better that you do belong to this group. If you have other widely known technical/computer groups that have vouched for you maybe you can add that to your welcome page. Thanks again, Grammie
[external image: Posted Image] grammie,

We are really glad you have chosen this wonderful forum to post and learn.

You are not "insulting" us in asking or checking out WhatThetech's credentials. I am sure as you read away from one sub-forum to the other you will feel satisfied that this site is highly respected on the internet.

Click on one or two of the Adminstrators and Moderators names within the site and you will see they are Microsoft Highly Trained Professionals.

If you have not already while registering read the WhatThetech Terms of Use which gives you a very good overview of what this forum is striving to achieve, please do so.

Enjoy our forum,

with kind regards, :)

PS. Here is a separate welcome for your Grandson. :wavey: [external image: Posted Image]
Hello grammie,

I notice you have posted a thread/question in the HJT forum, :oops: If you post there you should include a HJT log as that forum if only for analysing Malware logs by Accredited Experts, not for asking questions.

If you want to post a HJT log please follow this LINK

kind regards,
Oh - - such a kind reply. I am impressed with the credentials. Thanks for letting me know that. It is reassuring. And the welcome for the Grandson was particularly endearing! I have been doing learning games prior to the pc games for 2 years already with him. It is amazing how the young gravitate to computer use with no fear and intuitive maneuvering.
Is this link going to the right place?……I was reading the self-help for spyware problems and read the following.

This area is designed for you to help yourself.

1. We encourage all users of self help to Register and post a HijackThis log here with the word "Baseline" in the Topic Title

2. If you consider yourself a novice or newbie…please put down the sledgehammer and back slowly away, very slowly, and visit our Computer Helps Forum to request one-on-one help.

That link took me to where I posted the question (I thought it was for new people who didn't know what they were doing!) I am afraid I am proving the point!!

Here is that page Computer Help forums http://forums.whatthetech.com/Self_Help_Fi…alware_f97.html

Is this link going to the right place?……I was reading the self-help for spyware problems and read the following.

This area is designed for you to help yourself.

1. We encourage all users of self help to Register and post a HijackThis log here with the word "Baseline" in the Topic Title

2. If you consider yourself a novice or newbie…please put down the sledgehammer and back slowly away, very slowly, and visit our Computer Helps Forum to request one-on-one help.

That link took me to where I posted the question (I thought it was for new people who didn't know what they were doing!) I am afraid I am proving the point!!

Here is that page Computer Help forums http://forums.whatthetech.com/Self_Help_Fi…alware_f97.html


Welcome to the forums Grammie,

I'm sure Tallin will be along shortly to answer your questions.
In the mean time I do believe what he was suggesting was that you needed to post a "HJT" (HiJackThis) log with your post where you were asking for help.
In the "self help" link is the section "To prepare your computer for the help we offer, you can safely do the following before obtaining help:" in that area if you read and follow the instruction you'll read where and how to download and install HJT as well as how to post the log in your post.

Tallin please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you should edit your post to add the HJT log.

Good luck
Adavis
Hi grammie,

I guided you to this LINK as I felt you were wanting to post a HJT log. However, so far you have not posted in the correct forum what problem you do have (except your question in the HJT forum) which I am not permitted to answer there as I am not accredited to work in that forum. Only accredited Malware Experts can answer posts in the HJT forum.

Please post your question in the appropriate forum. As you are running Windows XP/SP2 and your question refers to Spybot Search and Destroy, you would post in Other Software Forum showing on the home page.

I hope this helps you,

kind regards,

Please follow the instructions below:

Please give as much specific information as possible.
Details of your machine Brand-name, desktop or laptop, CPU, RAM, age of machine.
Details of Operating System (Windows Vista(version), XP (pro or home), Win2000, Win ME/98/95, Linux)
Details of the Application(s) running when the problem occurred: (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Office, online game, etc)

Please explain what problem you are experiencing (what's not working).
Put the problem "in context".
–What were you doing when the problem occurred?
–What were you doing just before the problem occurred?
–What recent changes to the machine have you made? New Hardware/New Software/Updates
If Error Messages were displayed, post the "entire" exact text of the Error.

What have you already tried to fix the problem?
Yes, you can download and run the most current version of Spybot Search & Destroy
Here's the download selection link: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Any/all of those download sites are safe and will deliver the most up-to-date version of Spybot S&D

Welcome to WTT Forums. :)

Doug