This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Google.com opens in German

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Greetings Desert Rider Second quick thought, for preferences to stick, Google must set a cookie. Select "Internet Options" from the Tools menu. Click on the "Privacy" tab. Click "Sites" and add google and allow it to set cookies. OK your way back out. Close your browser and reopen and try going to Google and see what you get. You may of course need to reset your preferences since they may be defaulting to a last known cookie. What I am after here is getting your machine to accept a new one. Regards Kaz.
Desert rider,
OK, another low hope idea. :huh:

Go to control panel>Regional and Language Options
Verify that at the bottom of the page your location is set for United States
If you didn't create a new restore point after we cleaned your PC and you restored back to where you were infected, chances are you'll be infected again.

If you didn't create a new restore point after we cleaned your PC and you restored back to where you were infected, chances are you'll be infected again.


You're absolutely right! I had forgotten that. I used a restore point from 3 days ago. I then immediately undid that restoration and that was back to yesterday's point after we had completed all the steps you had instructed me to do.

Have I screwed up and undone all the work we did and if so do I have repeat the steps as done before?

Greetings Desert Rider

Second quick thought, for preferences to stick, Google must set a cookie.

Select "Internet Options" from the Tools menu.
Click on the "Privacy" tab.
Click "Sites"
and add google and allow it to set cookies.
OK your way back out.

Close your browser and reopen and try going to Google and see what you get.

You may of course need to reset your preferences since they may be defaulting to a last known cookie.

What I am after here is getting your machine to accept a new one.

Regards

Kaz.


I had completely cleaned cache and cookies including index.dats for both. Rebooted and set cookie allow for Google in both IE 7 and Firefox 2. No change. Google still opens in German until I select Google in English.

Desert rider,
OK, another low hope idea. :huh:

Go to control panel>Regional and Language Options
Verify that at the bottom of the page your location is set for United States

Verified that United States is the location. Thanks for trying!
OK, just ran a new Malwarebytes scan and it came up with 1 infection. Log file below. I have not deleted it yet as it appears it was installed by a program I installed yesterday called Super C video converter. Scanned it with AVS (screenshot attached) and no threat found. Suggestions? I don't think this is related to the problem I've been having with Google because it didn't show up before but that's just my opinion. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.03 Database version: 345 Scan type: Quick Scan Objects scanned: 25293 Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 52 second(s) Memory Processes Infected: 0 Memory Modules Infected: 0 Registry Keys Infected: 0 Registry Values Infected: 0 Registry Data Items Infected: 0 Folders Infected: 0 Files Infected: 1 Memory Processes Infected: (No malicious items detected) Memory Modules Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Keys Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Values Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Data Items Infected: (No malicious items detected) Folders Infected: (No malicious items detected) Files Infected: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Smab.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

Attachments:

  • [attachment removed: avs1.gif]
FYI,
Seems it was a spybot issue stopping the change which is what it's suppose to do.

Desert rider

After un-installing Spybot S & D and rebooting the problem with Google Deutschland and Google opening in German has disappeared!. :woot: Maybe it had something to do with Tea Timer or maybe the last removals you had me do resolved it. Anyway, system seems to be running fine and I will try re-installing the latest version of Spybot S&D to see if it works properly. If the problem shows up again after the reinstall I'll post.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI