Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91732 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't access my hotmail

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cvlooper

cvlooper

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:46 AM

(this is from a previous post that may have been posted in wrong area...I don't know that this has any thing to do with virus/malware and I have removed log info)

SSIA...I can't reach my hotmail account from my computer. From what I can remember, I encountered this problem after normal use of my computer during the day, being able to access hotmail, then later that night I could no longer get into my account. I have logged in to my account on 3 other computers with no issues.

I can access any other website and have no problems with secured sites. For some reason, I can't log into my hotmail!

I am using a Gateway Laptop: MT6451 with Vista Home Premium. This computer is one day short of a year old.

I didn't download any programs or change any settings before this occurred. I've tried everything I know to resolve this issue:

I have run the windows diagnostic device and it doesn't recognize any issues with my connection.
I have checked security settings of IE7.
I have reset my IE7 settings
I have disabled firewall to attempt to connect.
I have disabled virus and malware software to attempt connection.
I have deleted all browser history (temp files, cookies, history, etc.).
I have disabled addons to attempt connection
I have logged in as a guest and tried.
I have tried over three different networks.
I have pinged an IP and a website and both showed no abnormalities.
I have restored my computer to a previous setting when I was able to access hotmail...that didn't work
I have run Windows Malicious Software Removal
Probably forgetting a couple...

Three days before this problem occurred, I did run Windows Live OneCare saftey scanner and removed a few items from my registry but I looked into them before removal and I don't think I got rid of anything relevant to this problem. Also, I decided to try out several antivirus programs, using trial versions, to see which one I preferred so I have installed/uninstalled quite a few antivirus software (AVG, Norton, Trend Micro, Kaspersky, and a few others I can't remember). I recently began using PCTools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus (full, paid version) along with Threatfire as my security software. My computer slowed down after installing both of these programs, but I was still able to access my hotmail. What else...

I've had communication with Gateway support and they didn't provide much help. After chatting with a tech support guy, he told me that a full system restore or recovery would be necessary if restoring to a previous date did not work (it didn't). I thought this seemed rather extreme just to be able to access my hotmail! I am trying to avoid this for several reasons, but maybe it would be for the best.

The logs below are of my computer running from a previous restore point.

I would greatly appreciate any help that can be provided. I've spent too much time on this problem to give up now!

Thanks in advance,

loop

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

Hi loop and welcome to the WTT forums
:welcome:
I see that you have posted a log over in malware removal but no reply as yet.

When you have not received a reply within 5 days there is a special procedure to draw attention to your HJT log and you can find this here:
http://forums.whatth...931#entry406931

I am reluctant to suggest any potential solutions whilst you still have a log awaiting analysis and response, however you might consider the following to try and isolate the problem.

1 You seem to be currently using IE7 as your browser, so it might be sensible to download Mozilla Firefox available from here:
http://www.mozilla-e...oducts/firefox/
(this is the UK site, but take your pick!)
and see if you can access your hotmail with it.....if you can, its likely to be an IE 7 fault but if you can't then we need to check everything out!
Let us know how you go
Incidentally please don't add a post (reply) to your existing one in the malware removal forum until you get a response from a malware fighter ( they will look for posts will nil responses first and an extra post from you will show as a "reply")
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 01 February 2008 - 04:51 PM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 cvlooper

cvlooper

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:02 AM

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. I was hopeful, but unfortunately...it didn't work. It's funny because, if I want, I can log in to MSN and navigate to certain areas of "my account" but I can't get to mail, contacts, and a couple other things. I can even get to a spot where I could change my account information, password, and favorites and such. Of course, this is all windows live stuff and may be completely separate from hotmail. Upon the quick glance you get when MSN accesses secured pages, it seems to use the same type of hotmail encryption process to put me through to the other stuff, so I have no idea why it won't put me through to my mail. As most problems go, this is extremely frustrating. Not only that, it's quite inconvenient. I just found a way to attempt to contact windows live, so maybe they will have a suggestion. Thanks loop

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:27 AM

:thumbup: Lets hope you get a good response from them Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate